Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Stolen Weapons Alert (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20671)

Jens Nordlunde 26th October 2014 05:02 PM

I dont know if this will help anyone, but I resently read in a Danish net paper that they have started to use 'DNA marking'. They seem to be using this special kind of marking in Sweden and in the UK, and the ones with stickers that they had 'DNA marked' on doors and windows hardly had a break ins, compared to the ones not having the sticker, there the break ins were the same rate as usual.
You contact a security firm delivering this kind of service, and you get/buy a spray, with which you spray your valuables. A contract seems to last about five years. The first year it costs about $100 and the following years about $50.
The 'DNA spray' can only be seen in UW light, and it is unique to the spray bottle used. So if the police find stolen goods at three different addresses, they know that they belong to the same theft. The police then contacts the security firm, and is told who the owner is.
If this is used by the pilice and the customs it could stop a number of thefts.
Jens

maxbliss888 1st November 2015 04:12 AM

Take care

Take care

Battara 6th November 2015 06:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the yataghan that was stolen from me (pictures restored).

Battara 6th November 2015 06:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a restored picture of my stolen Moro kris of ivory, swassa, and silver inlay.

Helleri 7th January 2016 02:48 PM

That is really sad to hear. Looks like your using a Sony DSC-W150 for most your images (as apposed to say an on-phone-camera). So they likely didn't pull your location from your images meta data. Which would mean that the thief was not made aware of your collection or your location through sharing the images online. That narrows your field to a local thief. Given the narrow spectrum of items stolen. It's also likely that they knew what they were coming there for. And if that is so, you were cased before you were burgled. Have you had any recent contracted work done in your home (a plumbing job, electrical work, even outdoor stuff like landscaping)?

napoleon 9th February 2016 07:16 PM

stolen weapons

very sorry to hear this,can only keep eyes open :eek: best wishes napoleon

Green 10th February 2016 01:57 AM

It breaks my heart to see such an exquisite keris moro stolen from you Battara.
My deepest sympathy and hope you can recover it one day somehow!

Battara 10th February 2016 05:22 PM

Thank you so much folks.

Actually at that time there were a number of homes broken into in the area. Yes they stumbled onto my collection. Fortunately they did not get the most valuable items. Still, I am quite saddened and angry about this loss. Nothing has reappeared so far. I believe they caught the criminal now, but my stuff and others are still missing. At least now we have an alarm (for any would be thieving lurkers out there).

Again thank you folks. You are very kind.........

napoleon 27th June 2016 02:34 PM

SORRY TO HEAR THIS,KEEP AN EYE OUT HERE,AGAIN SYMPATHIES.

Spaffo 23rd December 2016 05:52 PM

So sorry! Those items should be hard to fence without attracting the attention of forum members here.
As a police officer I will pass along the pictures and descriptions to our art theft investigators here in Los Angeles. You never where unique items can turn up.

Spaffo 23rd December 2016 05:56 PM

Oops! I didn't realize this was an old, old post. If the items are still unrecovered, I will pass the information along anyway.

COYOTE 14th January 2017 11:43 PM

Hello Jose,

What a nightmare !!

I feel so sorry for you and, as a collector, I can imagine how desperate you are.

Please let me add words from others as we all feel the same : I too will keep a vigilant eye for your items on Ebay and other antique weapon websites.

Best Wishes,

Patrick :mad:

Mefidk 14th January 2021 05:20 PM

Stolen kaskara ++

Hi guys
These three were stolen from me recently. Actually they were stolen in a break-in of the transport company that was shipping them to me from an auction last week.
So sadly I did not get to be sure that that wolf is a real one (I think it probably was based on the rest of the sword), and I did not get better pictures than these.
The two Danish swords were just bi-purchases in the same lot but in case they all turn up for sale together they might to id the kaskara - I just would really like that kaskara!
/Chris

fernando 14th January 2021 05:25 PM

And the pictures, Chris ? ;) .

Mefidk 14th January 2021 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and the pictures

jokrho 27th January 2021 01:05 AM

Sad to hear about this. Will be on the lookout for these pcs and alert you.

xasterix 11th May 2021 04:57 PM

On a related note...if it's not weapons that can be stolen, it can also be money...exercise caution in transactions even from here...as a safety precaution I always insist on Paypal if it's a deal from the Swap Forum...I got a random offer recently from the forums but I turned it down because the seller had no Paypal...

Will M 13th May 2021 09:02 PM

They say these kinds of robberies typically are done by someone who was in your home in the recent past. Possibly a friend brought over someone you didn't know? It's a start in looking to where to find them. Taking such one of a kind items is not a random theft and stupid if the person wants to cash them in quick being easily identifiable. Call local pawn shops and watch online.