Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shona Dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22482)

Miguel 22nd March 2017 05:38 PM

Shona Dagger

Hello everyone, I have had this dagger for some time and have not been sure whether it is a working or tourist piece so am hoping that more knowledgeable members will enlighten me. It is a well made item having a double edged blade with central fuller with hard wood hilt and carved scabbard both of which are bound with brass wire.

O/L is 14.5 ins having a 9.875 ins blade x 1.5 ins wide reducing to a narrow point.
Thanking you in advance.
Miguel
Pics to follow

Miguel 23rd March 2017 03:42 PM

Shona Dagger Pics

Sorry about this I just realized that I had forgotten to resize them. :o
Miguel

Miguel 23rd March 2017 04:02 PM

Shona Dagger Pics I hope

Try once more :o :o

Miguel 23rd March 2017 04:40 PM

Shona Pics fingers crossed

3 Attachment(s)
Try again
I don't know what's but am unable to submit pics :shrug:

colin henshaw 24th March 2017 12:45 PM

A nice old example of this type of dagger, with the wirework undamaged. Congratulations. Although usually described as "Shona", this type of weapon was I believe, also used by other tribes further north into Malawi, such as the Yao...

Miguel 24th March 2017 04:53 PM

Thank you Colin for your informative reply, it is much appreciated. I wasn't aware that this type of dagger was used by other tribes, do they make their own or are they traded by the Shona? I would like to see how they did the wire decoration, it is so neat and tight on the wood. Thanks again.
Miguel

Sajen 24th March 2017 10:52 PM

Hello Miguel,

can you provide some closeups from the wooden parts, the binding and the blade?

Regards,
Detlef

colin henshaw 25th March 2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel
Thank you Colin for your informative reply, it is much appreciated. I wasn't aware that this type of dagger was used by other tribes, do they make their own or are they traded by the Shona? I would like to see how they did the wire decoration, it is so neat and tight on the wood. Thanks again.
Miguel

I imagine the various tribal groups had their own craftsmen, who did such work. I have seen that type of wirework on different objects such as sticks, spear shafts, fly-whisks and the like. Often beautifully done. Although Africans did manufacture wire in the historic period, I think the wire itself used here is probably European in origin, the plaiting done in Africa.

Regards.

Miguel 25th March 2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Miguel,

can you provide some closeups from the wooden parts, the binding and the blade?

Regards,
Detlef

Hello Detlef,

I will provide some close-ups but I wont be able to provide them very quickly as I will be out of town next week and then I will have to get the dagger out of storage to take the pics, sorry about that.
Regards
Miguel

Miguel 25th March 2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
I imagine the various tribal groups had their own craftsmen, who did such work. I have seen that type of wirework on different objects such as sticks, spear shafts, fly-whisks and the like. Often beautifully done. Although Africans did manufacture wire in the historic period, I think the wire itself used here is probably European in origin, the plaiting done in Africa.

Regards.

Thanks Colin for your comments they were much appreciated.

Regards
Miguel

Miguel 1st April 2017 04:17 PM

New pics

12 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hello Detlef,

I will provide some close-ups but I wont be able to provide them very quickly as I will be out of town next week and then I will have to get the dagger out of storage to take the pics, sorry about that.
Regards
Miguel

Hello Detlef,

I have taken some fresh pics with close-ups as requested.
Miguel

Miguel 1st April 2017 04:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more.

Sajen 1st April 2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

I have taken some fresh pics with close-ups as requested.

Hi Miguel,

thank you for the much better pictures. Definitely not a tourist piece but a very nice dagger made for tribal use. First half of 20th century?

Regards,
Detlef