Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bagobo Twist Core Bolo with New Scabbard (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11166)

Battara 5th December 2009 01:18 AM

Bagobo Twist Core Bolo with New Scabbard

3 Attachment(s)
HI Kids. Below are pictures of my Bagobo with a double twist core blade. I later changed the chains on it. The scabbard is an old one that I obtained from Spunger. The cloth and tacks are original. I added the brass coils on the finials and replaced some of the missing brass links. It fits perfectly to the bolo. Again, maraming salamat Ron.

Enjoy. :D

Robert 5th December 2009 04:31 AM

Hello Jose,
As always you've done a beautiful restoration on the scabbard. This is a great match-up even though as you say it is not original to the blade. Could you please post a close-up of the hit as I would very much like to see the detailing of the guard casting. Thank you very much for sharing.

Robert

Flavio 5th December 2009 12:06 PM

Hi Jose, wonderful sword and perfect marriage :cool: !!! As usual your restorations are great!! Congrats :)

Flavio

Sajen 5th December 2009 01:04 PM

Beautiful sword and perfect restoration, thank's for sharing.

Battara 5th December 2009 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Jose,
As always you've done a beautiful restoration on the scabbard. This is a great match-up even though as you say it is not original to the blade. Could you please post a close-up of the hit as I would very much like to see the detailing of the guard casting. Thank you very much for sharing.

Robert

Thank you folks! :D

As per your request Robert, here is a close up of the hilt:

kisak 5th December 2009 10:42 PM

Would the colour difference between the edge region and the rest of the blade be due to differential heat treating?

Robert 5th December 2009 11:46 PM

Hello Jose and thank you for posting the picture of the hilt, it is an absolute beauty. I do not remember if I have ever ask before but are these done by the lost wax method or some other way and is the material used on this brass, bronze or something else? Again, thanks for sharing.

Robert

Battara 6th December 2009 01:59 AM

Yes Kisak, the color difference is in fact due to tempering.

Robert, they used a lost wax method and then stamped with tools.

Dimasalang 6th December 2009 02:58 AM

Wow! :eek: That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Gavin Nugent 6th December 2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Wow! :eek: That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I agree, you have done a fantastic job and the blade is something else. A wonderful example

Best

Gav

Ferguson 6th December 2009 10:33 AM

Jose,
Everything about that piece is top notch, and just stunning. Great piece to work with, and excellent restoration!
Steve

G. McCormack 6th December 2009 07:51 PM

Wow! Gorgeous piece! I'm sure fitting that brass guard piece to the burled wood hilt would have been a bear!
Small correction:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Yes Kisak, the color difference is in fact due to tempering.

Robert, they used a lost wax method and then stamped with tools.

Color difference is due etch which reveals evidence of the microstructure which results from carbon content and cooling gradient upon quenching as a result of differences in cross sectional thickness.

Scabbard looks great too!

mross 7th December 2009 03:52 PM

Jose,
I liked this piece when you posted it for me on the other thread. I have to say it changed my opinion of Bagabo workmanship, up until this piece their craft seemed crude in comparisome to other tribes. But this piece wow.

migueldiaz 8th December 2009 12:45 AM

battara, what can i say that has not already been said? nice puppy all right! :)

Battara 14th December 2009 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a question: would the blade structure be considered "turkish ribbon?"

Battara 15th December 2009 11:51 PM

Just found out that according to Rsword turkish ribbon is the same as twist core. :o

hideyoshi 16th December 2009 05:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice Kampilan.

Battara 16th December 2009 06:08 PM

Nice panabas - I love twist core! :D

FilAmfighter1 22nd December 2009 03:44 PM

This was fighting sword

Quote:

Originally Posted by hideyoshi
Nice Kampilan.

I saw the holes in the blade and this blade was a fighting blade. Each hole filled with brass indicated a kill in battle. There is great reference in the Pirate Wind on this noted by the English fighting fighting Raiders in the Philippine Sea.

P.Abrera 23rd December 2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Got a question: would the blade structure be considered "turkish ribbon?"

The only difference in specific terms might be that a twist core has edge material (not neccesarily twisted) surrounding the,er, twisted core. In my understanding, the "turkish ribbon" part is the multiple rods of twisted material welded together to form a larger whole.

What's in a name...Construction and manufacture techniques would be pretty much the same thing.

Beautiful weapon! :)

Battara 16th February 2011 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I finally finished unwrapping the cloth material and found a strap. I then restored the missing horse hair. Here is the picture of the finished work with a picture from Cole's The Wild Tribes of Davao District Mindanao for comparison.

Enjoy :D

Robert 16th February 2011 04:13 PM

WOW !!! :eek: Now that is something spectacular !!! Great work Jose.

Sajen 16th February 2011 07:17 PM

Just beautiful, great job! :)

DaveS 16th February 2011 07:55 PM

Jose: Fantastic restoration!!!!!!!!!! I sure know where to go for scabbard
repair.........Dave.

Atlantia 16th February 2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Just found out that according to Rsword turkish ribbon is the same as twist core. :o

I think that your sword looks fantastic. Great job :)

Also, on the subject of twistcores. I think the pattern you have (which has been used worldwide) can also be called Turkish Twist, Turkish starry night, Star pattern etc.
I think it depends on how well defined the 'stars' are, and I think of ribbon as being more....... 'loose'?
I wonder what the Celts or the Vikings called star pattern?

Dimasalang 16th February 2011 08:46 PM

Sweet!

How much?! :D

Battara 16th February 2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Sweet!

How much?! :D

Thank you folks! Been in process for a while. Thought I would post for archival purposes (as opposed to porpoises :D ).

Dimasalang - what do you mean? :confused: