Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Scottish Highlandpistol by John Murdoch of Done (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25550)

corrado26 15th January 2020 09:01 AM

Scottish Highlandpistol by John Murdoch of Done

12 Attachment(s)
For the friends of Scottish arms here fotos of what I think is a very fine pistol made by John Murdoch of Doune. The barrel of the pistol has 8 flat grooves, a back- and a frontsight. The postman brought it yesterday.
corrado26

fernando 15th January 2020 01:07 PM

Fantabulous

Hey Udo ...
You should have told the postman that the correct address for this wonderful baby was not yours ... but mine.
I shall cry over such mistake:shrug:.

NeilUK 15th January 2020 01:34 PM

Congratulations, Udo. That is a pistol of superb quality and in such good condition, as you obviously know. It would almost make a pair with my John Murdoch pistol! I also have an Alexander Campbell but still searching for a Thomas Caddell (any of the dynasty) at a reasonable price.
Neil

Will M 15th January 2020 06:00 PM

That is a magnificent pistol, can you forward to my address? I have a post lady who delivers to my door and I'm in the country!
:D

M ELEY 16th January 2020 09:45 AM

An exceptional pistol indeed, made for an officer, no doubt. Many of the steel Scottish pistols made for infantry troops of poorer quality, especially after 1770's, but the higher rank officers had choice pieces. Green with envy- :o

corrado26 16th January 2020 10:49 AM

When it one day will leave my house it will surely go back to the country it once came from.
corrado26

Kmaddock 16th January 2020 12:06 PM

Lovely Gun
Congratulations!

can you tell me what is the ball with the hole in it on the ram rod for and thanks for showing the screw off part on the bottom of the grip, I assume it is for cleaning the touch hole?

Regards

Ken

fernando 16th January 2020 12:12 PM

... to introduce the cleaning patch ? :o .

Norman McCormick 16th January 2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
When it one day will leave my house it will surely go back to the country it once came from.
corrado26

Hi Udo,
As a Son of Caledonia perhaps one day I could help you to repatriate this fabulous gun. :D Many congratulations on your latest acquisition. :cool: :cool: :cool:
My Regards,
Norman.

Fernando K 16th January 2020 08:46 PM

Hi

If possible, I would like to see the inside of the lock.

Affectionately

corrado26 17th January 2020 01:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
.............and here are the fotos of the lock's inside. Normally I don't open until today never opened pistols and so I hope it was worth the risk and you are satisfied.
Best regards
corrado26

fernando 17th January 2020 02:06 PM

So nice of you, Udo :cool: .
Now, let us see what Fernando K has to say about it.
Looks rather simple ... to me :o.

Fernando K 17th January 2020 04:11 PM

Hi Corrado

Thank you. It is the first time I see how a Scottish lock works, I can see that the half.cock is achieved by the bar in front of the cock and this full-cock is achieved by the tooth in the nut, which is retained by the guarantor of horizontal movement Again thank you very much.

Affectionately

NeilUK 17th January 2020 05:10 PM

I notice that the lock is fitted with an anti-friction roller/wheel which I have never seen on a Doune pistol, or even any Scottish pistol, before. John Murdoch is recorded as still alive or even working in 1798 so it could be that this pistol was made in his later years and he was trying out this new device for faster ignition. Anti-friction rollers seem to have come into use c.1790 and onwards. All supposition but does anyone have a better suggestion?
Regards, Neil

GIO 17th January 2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
.............and here are the fotos of the lock's inside. Normally I don't open until today never opened pistols and so I hope it was worth the risk and you are satisfied.
Best regards
corrado26

I always take locks off, as often rust remains unseen inside the mechanism. If possible I also dismount completely the locks, eliminate rust and protect all inner parts with grease or oil.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 19th January 2020 08:22 PM

JUST to indicate a few links here; please see

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...cw=1117&ch=462

The web notes ~ "The trade is now carried on by John Murdoch, also famous for his ingenuity in the craft and who has likewise furnished pistols to the first nobility of Europe These pistols were sold from 4 to 24 guineas a pair ... when Mr. Murdoch gives over the business, the trade, in all probability will become extinct.' (Sinclair:87). John Murdoch 'manufactured both lobe-butt and ramshorn (scroll)-butt pistols' (Kelvin: 93-4) and he may also have been the partner of another Doune pistol-maker John Christie as pistols signed 'Christie and Murdoch Duni Fecit' of about 1750 survive."

-

corrado26 20th January 2020 07:29 AM

Thanks a lot Ibrahijm for these interesting links
corrado26 :)

Spottedbull 21st January 2020 11:42 AM

THAT is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship! Im very jealous!!

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 26th January 2020 11:39 PM

i NOTED AN INTERESTING SNIPPET ON A WEB SITE AT

http://www.tartansauthority.com/high...hland-weapons/

From which I quote QUOTE "A Mr Glen has a wheel-lock pistol of the time of Charles I on which the armourer's mark is a pair of bagpipes and the initials C. L.

Logan states that the manufacture of pistols was commenced at Doune about 1646 by Thomas Guide who had learned his trade at Muthil. One of his apprentices, John Campbell, also became a famous maker. John Murdoch succeeded him. Campbell's and Murdoch's pistols are more common than Caddell's. Bissett occurs frequently on Highland pistols in the Tower Armoury. A less known maker is Jo. Chrystie''. UNQUOTE.

corrado26 27th January 2020 07:19 AM

Thanks a lot for this interesting link!