Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   sword dao chinese need help for restoration of the uncommon handle, and comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16776)

weapons 27 5th February 2013 12:58 PM

sword dao chinese need help for restoration of the uncommon handle, and comments

12 Attachment(s)
Hello to all
think you that Chinese sword

I need advice to restore the handle lacks a sort of rafia braid!

the handle is made of wood covered with rafia??, the tip is bronze
the scabbard is wood lacquered red, the extremitees are galuchat
and then frame bronze.
the blade is very sharp
total lenght 83 cm , measuring 62 cm blade, 6 mm thick at the base of the guard.
It weighs with the 1kg100gr slider

weapons 27 5th February 2013 01:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
THE SCABBARD

Sajen 5th February 2013 06:40 PM

The braiding seems to have a very good patination, sadly it's uncomplete. IMHO a very difficult projekt. I think this will need a profi-restorer. And until you don't know the material I would do nothing.

Regards,

Detlef

weapons 27 6th February 2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
The braiding seems to have a very good patination, sadly it's uncomplete. IMHO a very difficult projekt. I think this will need a profi-restorer. And until you don't know the material I would do nothing.

Regards,

Detlef

ok thank detlef

Tim Simmons 6th February 2013 09:33 AM

Looks like platted rush or reed or grass. A material like raffia could be platted as a substitute and will not take too long to mellow. People that restore furniture, rush covered chairs, basket makers, might help with materials. In parts of the world where grasses are more commonly used for everyday items, replacing would be done as and when needed. So if you really find it annoying then replacement would not be a sin in my mind.

weapons 27 6th February 2013 10:40 AM

Thanks tim

A person will ' it photos of a braided handle?

T. Koch 6th February 2013 12:13 PM

Weird that the rayskin is only present underneath the fittings... Perhaps it once covered the entire scabbard, but is now destroyed...?

Cheers, - Thor

Andrew 6th February 2013 10:20 PM

This is a new one for me. Modern?

katana 6th February 2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew

I too have a feeling about this one ...

weapons 27 7th February 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T. Koch
Weird that the rayskin is only present underneath the fittings... Perhaps it once covered the entire scabbard, but is now destroyed...?

Cheers, - Thor

I also think that the rayskin has disappeared and the scabbard was repeind later.
because the fixing of the scabbard level I of the game, about the thickness of the rayskin

Gavin Nugent 7th February 2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Nothing modern looking about this...over cleaned yes.
Several others of the type have been seen and discussed within these pages.

Andrew 7th February 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebooter
Nothing modern looking about this...over cleaned yes.
Several others of the type have been seen and discussed within these pages.

Huh. As I said--new to me, but I've certainly not seen it all. :shrug:

Maybe some SEA influence in the long, cylindrical handle?

weapons 27 7th February 2013 05:17 PM

sword has been cleaned the blade also as well as the scabbard

This sword is old !!!!!!

katana 7th February 2013 06:41 PM

I too was not suggesting that this is 'brand' new ....I think this could be a 'recent' marriage of older .....and perhaps some newer parts

David

Tim Simmons 7th February 2013 06:58 PM

I think it just a rather nice old example that is a bit worn out and polished. The skin ray skin can be replaced as easy as the handle wrap. You are never going to fake up or recreate that look that it has now. Nice pommel.

David R 8th February 2013 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My twopennyworth is that it is an old blade and scabbard, dubious guard and grip, and a downright suspicious pommel. The suspension mount has slipped and is too low on the scabbard, the sword would not balance on the suspension cord.
The mounts on these are usualy quite simple, and not figurative like this one. Nonetheless, worth having. Chinese swords have been much under rated in the past, and polish up nicely with a good figure in the metal when etched. I am doing one up of my own, which is why I did some digging around on them.

weapons 27 9th February 2013 12:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David R
My twopennyworth is that it is an old blade and scabbard, dubious guard and grip, and a downright suspicious pommel. The suspension mount has slipped and is too low on the scabbard, the sword would not balance on the suspension cord.
The mounts on these are usualy quite simple, and not figurative like this one. Nonetheless, worth having. Chinese swords have been much under rated in the past, and polish up nicely with a good figure in the metal when etched. I am doing one up of my own, which is why I did some digging around on them.

hi david
Here is the initial place of sleeve rings,as I said the sleeve was covered with rayskin that disappeared so the scabbard ring slide

Neil 10th February 2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Huh. As I said--new to me, but I've certainly not seen it all. :shrug:

Maybe some SEA influence in the long, cylindrical handle?

I had the feeling of a SEA influence as well by the nature of the grip, its proportions, as well as the wrap treatment. It has very likely gone through many hands over the years. It is great to see it so complete though. Even if it is not in it's potential "original" construction. It is still a nice example. Thank you for sharing.