Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Restored Balkan Yataghan That Needs Translation (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26530)

Sajen 16th January 2021 12:42 PM

Amazing work Jose! And a very nice yataghan, congrats! :)

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 22nd February 2021 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since this thread i've tried and tried to compare the tughra with the Ottoman Sultan tughras and am stumped. A couple of possibilities but nothing firm.

Is there anyone who can translate the bottom half (or take an educated guess) of the tughra? This is supposed to be where the name of the sultan should be. The sultan's name would help narrow down the age of this yataghan.

By the way, the place of manufacture would be Focha, Bosnia (according to Elgood).

mross 22nd February 2021 03:51 PM

Jose,
Looking at your work it is absolutely amazing. What you are doing I think firmly puts you on the path that Buster Warenski took for his King Tut dagger.
Michael

Battara 24th February 2021 12:17 AM

Thank you so much!

Is there anyone who can translate this?

ariel 1st March 2021 10:19 AM

As per Elgood, smooth round corals is a trademark of Foca.
Excellent job, Jose!

kwiatek 1st March 2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Since this thread i've tried and tried to compare the tughra with the Ottoman Sultan tughras and am stumped. A couple of possibilities but nothing firm.

Is there anyone who can translate the bottom half (or take an educated guess) of the tughra? This is supposed to be where the name of the sultan should be. The sultan's name would help narrow down the age of this yataghan.

I think I answered this before but perhaps it wasn’t clear. This isn’t a royal tughra, it’s an owner’s inscription in tughra form, which is quite common

صاحب حسین

“The owner, Husayn”

There is an extra letter ح in there, it might possibly also be

صاحب حسن [ابن] حسین

“The owner, Hasan [son of] Husayn”

On reflection, another possibility for the extra word might be

صاحب حاجی حسین

“The owner Haci Husayn”

It’s not clear however and the extra letter may just be a feature of the design so I would leave it as “The owner, Husayn”

Battara 2nd March 2021 12:11 AM

Thank you folks!

Kwiatek, thank you. I didn't know that there were owner's tughras. I thought tughras had to be royal ones.

I learned.

I agree Ariel - these corals are Focha, thank you.

And Michael, I've seen pictures and write ups of that King Tut dagger - I'd love to have one. Perhaps in the future I will make a Philippine gold hilted dagger based on the 14th/15th century examples (looking into this).