Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   antique whip dagger - spanish? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1863)

Valjhun 11th February 2006 03:22 PM

antique whip dagger - spanish?

ebay number 7216872116

What do you think about that? Age, origin?

According tom Mr. Tirri, whom expensive book i've bought recently it is a spanish dagger :cool:. Take a look toi the page 27. It says: "Spanish influence and trade in southern Morocco, is further indicated by the Spanish dagger impored into Morocco."

Can you agree with him? :confused:

Well, I know perfectly wht it is, but I'll tell you later. Firstly I need to know your thoughts :D

wolviex 11th February 2006 03:48 PM

I don't know anything about knives like this, but are all with such blades like that on ebay?
I'm asking about it because this looks just like djerid from Polish buzdygan-mace. There is even screw just like in Polish ones to fasten it into the mace :eek:

ham 11th February 2006 04:49 PM

Gentlemen,

Whips like this one have been produced in Morocco for the tourist trade since the 1960s, perhaps earlier. I haven't seen any examples which were actually produced for use among local peoples.

Ham

Battara 11th February 2006 07:52 PM

Whip daggers were also produced by the Luzon and Visaya Filipinos, possibly influenced by the Spanish.

Marc 11th February 2006 09:24 PM

Well, not that, as far as I can tell, the Spaniards had any particular tendency towards putting spikes into whip's handles... :)

Valjhun 12th February 2006 05:57 PM

Well, Ham you are completely right saying that is not intended for use by local people. It is a complete tourist piece from the 60'-70', made in syria. It has a verry typical syrian manufactur regarding thoose insertions. My uncle brought back a dozen of thoose from Lebanon at that time as souvenir. Well, another pearl in mr. Tirris book, I guess.

wolviex 12th February 2006 06:25 PM

Hey, modern or not, I'm still curious about this blade which remind of and looks like jerides. What about others - are those the same?

Valjhun 12th February 2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolviex
Hey, modern or not, I'm still curious about this blade which remind of and looks like jerides. What about others - are those the same?

Hmm... as far I can recall yes, they're pretty the same. I will go for a trip to my uncle the next month (he lives quite far away) to take some photos. I recall that one of them, beside the same screw it had a twisted spiral like "blade", mor like a spike. I recall also a lot of similarity in indian and persian axes, bhujs and maces with similar attachments.

In the meanwhile, could you please post a pic of such a polish mace?

Valjhun 5th March 2006 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I haven't had time to visit mny uncle, but I've mentioned the debate to him and he sent me one of thoose. Quite similar, and it isn't even leather that is artificial...

Dom 6th March 2006 01:14 AM

whip called, camel drivers whip, masses Moroccan production for tourists, when I was in Morocco in years 60/65, this type of article was a must as "souvenir" :p
at least is funny :)

ariel 6th March 2006 01:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The use of weapons with hidden blades is pretty popular around the world. Here is my Fakir's Crutch, fully original. Can be used as a mace (handle and base have thickened rectangular endings) or as a stiletto. Of course, by the time this poor, handicapped Indian mendicant was able to unscrew the blade, he was supposed to be long dead. On the other hand, he might not have been THAT BADLY handicapped...