Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two Bagobo swords for repatriation ... (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29723)

Ian 15th March 2024 12:00 PM

Two Bagobo swords for repatriation ...

10 Attachment(s)
These two good Bagobo swords are on their way back home to the Philippines.

The first one is the best Bagobo sword I have owned and handled. The blade, hilt, and scabbard are all excellent. The blade has a sharpened back edge that runs about 7 inches back from the tip. The wooden scabbard has many Bagobo features including ikat, gold thread, beadwork, and a bifid toe with brass terminals. This is a datu class weapon.

The second has a fat belly blade and fuller, with file work at forte. The back edge is also sharpened for about 6 inches. The brass work on the hilt is typical Bagobo work, as is the wooden pommel. The scabbard is very plain with A red cloth wrap and a string belt. The file work at forte is occasionally seen on this style of Bagobo sword.

Marbel 17th March 2024 05:38 AM

Bagobo

Hello Ian,

These are beautiful pieces. Thank you for caring for them over the years and congratulations on the sales. Sounds like a win win result. Nicely done.

Craig

Ian 17th March 2024 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marbel (Post 289482)
Helo Ian,

These are beautiful pieces. Thank you for caring for them over the years and congratulations on the sales. Sounds like a win win result. Nicely done.

Craig

Thanks Craig. We are only caretakers of these artifacts. They deserve the love and respect they may have been shown in the original culture. I'm pleased they are going home and to someone who really appreciates the history of these weapons and their use.

I have several more that I will put up on these pages over the next few weeks, mainly for the Archives.

Battara 18th March 2024 07:21 PM

Are they going to a collector or museum?

kino 19th March 2024 12:17 AM

I would have a hard time parting with those beauties.

Ian 19th March 2024 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 289523)
Are they going to a collector or museum?

Battara, they are going to a collector who is a well known enthusiast and researcher of Filipino weapons. I have heard too many bad stories about trying to send items to museums in the Philippines. Excellent pieces seem to "disappear" into poorly maintained storage facilities or end up somehow being sold privately.

Ian 19th March 2024 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino (Post 289542)
I would have a hard time parting with those beauties.

It is hard to part with fine pieces like these two. But I am getting old and don't wish to leave my family with the task of disposing of them. None of the kids has an interest in swords, knives, or other sharp/pointy things. I have been putting some of my collection on the Swap Forum here and on a popular web auction site. The better pieces, I try to find a good home for—usually someone I know who will keep them long term rather than sell them on for a profit.

At some point, a collector turns into a seller. I'm at that stage now.

Regards,

Ian.

kino 19th March 2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 289545)
At some point, a collector turns into a seller.

Ian.

How true.

Battara 20th March 2024 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 289544)
I have heard too many bad stories about trying to send items to museums in the Philippines. Excellent pieces seem to "disappear" into poorly maintained storage facilities or end up somehow being sold privately.

I have heard and have been told the same thing. Good choice.

Ian 15th April 2024 08:51 AM

This is the type of response that makes me want to repatriate more of my swords and knives.

Quote:

They just arrived! They really are exemplary samples, especially the complete one. A Lumad culture bearer went as far as to label the complete one as a "national treasure." I'm in talks with a private museum to feature the complete one to the general public, especially to Lumad descendants, for awareness into just how exemplary their artifacts used to be.

Utmost thanks in allowing these two to go home!!!

Marbel 15th April 2024 03:59 PM

Bagobo

Nicely done Ian. Thanks for sharing

Sajen 15th April 2024 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 290249)
This is the type of response that makes me want to repatriate more of my swords and knives.

Well done Ian! :):cool: