Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Katar for Comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18078)

TVV 26th January 2014 12:26 AM

Katar for Comments

5 Attachment(s)
Indian weapons are a bit outside my main interests, but I really liked this katar. I know very little about it and katars in general. Per Pant, it would appear that the correct name is jamadhar, but katar seems to have become the accepted term among collectors, so I am sticking with it. My guess is that my is from Northern India, Rajasthan perhaps? It has a wootz blade (always hard to photograph for me), and a hilt with gold koftgari decoration. Unfortunately, the hilt is in rough shape, with losses to the koftgari. There is an inscription below the guard, but I doubt anyone would be able to read it as it appears some of it has been erased. The scabbard is missing the chape, but at least it looks like it is the original scabbard.

Can the Indian weapons experts venture a guess on age (mine would be early 19th century) and area of origin?

Thank you,
Teodor

ArmsAndAntiques 26th January 2014 05:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I would agree with a 19th C. dating, possibly earlier. It's quite uncommon to find one with Devangari writing in koftgari, which yours appears to have remnants of. The form and shape are similar to one I had a few years back. I would imagine they would be more likely to be from a similar area. The tools on the one that I had were overlaid in a very similar style koftgari.

TVV 27th January 2014 06:45 PM

Thank you ArmsAndAntiques, the example you show, while much finer than mine, is very similar in form. Interesting to see all the utensils as well.

Teodor

Jens Nordlunde 29th December 2019 04:38 PM

Is it possible that someone can translate what is left of the text on TVV's katar?

ariel 30th December 2019 12:01 AM

I sent a pic of the inscription to my study coordinator ( she is from Chennai).
Do not expect quick answer: it’s New Year time.
Moreover, who knows what language was used.

Battara 30th December 2019 12:12 AM

What makes it extra hard is the rust underneath that has lifted off the overlying koftgari.

ariel 31st December 2019 06:24 PM

Jose was correct: the inscription is mutilated by rust.
The last word in it is " Rajah".
For the rest, my res. asst. sent pics to India, she has several friends who are linguists. But even she has very little hope.....

TVV 31st December 2019 08:41 PM

Well, one word is better than nothing. Thank you and your friend, Ariel,

Teodor

Jens Nordlunde 31st December 2019 09:28 PM

Ariel, thanks for your assistance, but do you know in language it is written?
This could, maybe, point to a region. I think Rajasthan is correct, but it might help.

ariel 1st January 2020 01:27 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention: Hindi.