Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sword(s) of dreams (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7974)

ariel 23rd December 2008 11:26 PM

Sword(s) of dreams

OK, folks, if you could acquire no more than 3 swords for your collection over the next year, what would they be?

Atlantia 23rd December 2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
OK, folks, if you could acquire no more than 3 swords for your collection over the next year, what would they be?

Yes! Great thread Ariel!

Can I be a bit 'Fantasy Football' and imagine that you mean in a 'raid the worlds great collections' sort of way ;)

1/ Sword of Mehmet The Conquerer (1451-1481)
2/ Sword of St maurice (from the German Imperial Regalia)
3/ Sword Of Charlemagne

I'd be happy with just Mehmets one though :(

KuKulzA28 24th December 2008 01:12 AM

I've no sword collection, and no intention to start one, but if I had one...

The headhunting knife of Rudao Bai (Wushe Rebellion)
The patas of Tanaji Malusare (Siege of Kondana)
The barong from the battle for Bud Dajo

migueldiaz 24th December 2008 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting thread, Ariel :)

My wish list would be --

1. the katana of any of the 47 ronin;

2. Magallanes' sword & Lapulapu's kampilan -- I count the pair as one :D and

3. Panglima Hassan's kris:

"Panglima Hassan [district commander of Luuk, Sulu, under the Sulu Sultanate; 2nd from left in pic below], was killed in action against the Americans on March 4, 1904 at Bud Bagsak (Mount Bagsak) ...

"In early November 1903, Hassan and about 3,000 to 4,000 warriors besieged the American garrison in Jolo. Armed only with krises (wavy-edged swords) and some old rifles, they bottled up the Americans for a week before being forced to withdraw. Following a battle, Hassan was captured while bathing near his camp at Lake Seit in late November 1903, but he soon escaped. He resumed the war in February 1904 when, together with Datu ('Chief') Laksamana and Datu Usap, they attacked the pro-American Sultan Kiram and his forces in the battle of Pampang. He lost in the battle, and was later killed with his two companions along the crater of Bud Bagsak. Hassan had 17 wounds in his body, but died game, crawling with his kris in his mouth toward the nearest wounded American soldier when the last bullet dispatched him."
-----

Michael Blalock 24th December 2008 04:40 PM

On a less ambitious level; a zanzibari nimcha, a yemeni nimcha and a saber blade kattara.

VANDOO 24th December 2008 05:09 PM

IN A FANTASY CHOICE #1 EXCALIBUR, 2. THE MAGIC SWORD ARMOR AND SHIELD USED BY THE HERO WHO SLEW MEDUSA, 3. PRINCE VALIANTS SINGING SWORD.

REAL SWORDS 1. MY CHOICE OF MY FAVORITE DAYAK SWORD, 2. MY CHOICE OF ANY ROYAL SWORD MADE DURING THE MOORISH KINGDOM.
A VENETIAN SCHIAVONA SEEING AS HOW THIS IS JUST A WISH I GET TO SEE AND HANDLE ALL SWORDS IN EXHISTENCE AND CHOOSE MY FAVORITES.

MY MOTTO "IF ITS A WISH ALWAYS WISH BIG" :D

ariel 24th December 2008 08:42 PM

My aspirations do not go as high as as "Sword of Charlemagne", although I would not kick Yataghan of Soleiman the Magnificent out of my house...
My dream list:
1. Tatar Sword ( ordynka or Crimean)
2. Bukharan sword like the one on Artzi's site....
3. Georgian saber with a beak-like pommel by Geurk Elisarov
As a bonus, I would love to get a Minghrelian Kindjal.
Anyone has spares? Swap? May I fulfill somebody else's dream? It's Holiday Season .... :)

kisak 24th December 2008 09:25 PM

Obviously not an easy choice here (well, if we assume someone else will take the bill at least), but sticking to something a bit more humble than the Sword of Charlemagne or so (not that I'd complain...)

1: a Swedish "drabantvärja" m/1701, or a similar officer's sword. Known provenance obviously a plus.

2: a good Japanese daito. The Rai Kunitoshi up for sale over at nihonto.ca for example would do the trick.

3: A Viking age-style sword from Patrick Barta.

Honourable mention to pretty much all things wootz and jade.

Mark 29th December 2008 02:31 PM

Hard to say, but I wouldn't mind my pick from Andrew's, Ian's, John's and/or Charles' collections. :D I wouldn't mind getting a dha with an undamaged basket-work handle, actually, and one with some gold in the decoration.