Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   French Boarding Cutlass or Briquet? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23429)

Jon MB 6th December 2017 03:47 PM

French Boarding Cutlass or Briquet?

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks,

Found this cheap in a market, came with a carpet. My guess is a Napoleonic era boarding cutlass. Nice balance, like a short cavalry sabre, a keeper.

I am assuming French, (Russian?)

No makers marks present that I can see.

There are pattern weld effects at points along the blade, I don't know if that's what it is or if this is old corrosion. Very slight looseness of blade in hilt. -Klingenthal blade?

scabbard ok, chape has come off (seller helpfully/unhelpfully taped it back on when my back was turned). Just as a comment on how absurd life can be, it was $50..

Any pointers as to what it might be much appreciated.

Jon MB

Jon MB 6th December 2017 03:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
more..

Jon MB 6th December 2017 03:53 PM

As can be seen, features moon, stars, coat of arms, gold panels with faux Arabic script running along fullers and star/sun emblem on ricasso, decorated with foliate motif along spine of blade for first quarter of length.

31 ribs to grip.

68.5 cm blade.

fernando 6th December 2017 05:44 PM

Hi Jon,
I will let for others with more knowledge to comment on the entire piece, but i have to say this is beautiful. A briquet hilt for certain, but the rest ...
And, why the false Arabic in such intrincate work ?

Roland_M 7th December 2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
And, why the false Arabic in such intrincate work ?

Hello Fernando,

I think this blades had been inspired by Oriental/Ottoman swords, which were very popular in Europe at the end of 18th and beginning of 19th ct..

The intention was to create the appereance of an Oriental blade and they knew, that almost no one was able to read Arabic in Europa.

This blade is a very beautiful-pattern welded example of European origin.

Roland

Madnumforce 8th December 2017 03:27 AM

This is really a magnificent briquet. For 50$, you could practically have stolen it, it would make no difference.

But it's an oddball. I count 31 ribs on the grip. The An IX had 36, the An XI had 28, and the 1816 had 21 ribs. But it's got the quillion of the An XI and 1816 patterns. Also, the blade is styled after some "custom" versions of "à la chasseur" sabers, with this typical clip-point blade, and the engraving is way too classy for such a supposedly cheap weapon, nevertheless not ressembling what would be traditionally found on a French blade (as far as I know). But it's the correct blade length for a briquet (given that they had been made in a variety of sizes and shapes, as it was a popular saber among bourgeois of the National Guard), and an incorrect size for anything else. So it takes a bit of everything, being an infantry briquet, with a blade styled after light cavalry sabers, and engravings of relatively prestigious rank/honor. One thing is for sure: it's not conform to any regulation!

Superb piece nonetheless. Congratulation on your find.

Jon MB 8th December 2017 11:32 AM

Thanks for the comments people, appreciated! Could it be Swiss?

Will M 8th December 2017 03:43 PM

This is the best one I have seen yet.The clip point really adds to it, not to mention the details in etching and blade composition.
A real "keeper"

Jon MB 8th December 2017 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great, glad to show something unusual.

Another pic..