Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More Moro(?) spears.... (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15323)

CharlesS 25th March 2012 12:02 AM

More Moro(?) spears....

5 Attachment(s)
I was able to pick these up last weekend at the Baltimore show and both were in horrendous condition when I got them, so I have enjoyed working on them on and off this week, and here are the results. I really wish i had done these as "before and after" pics, just so you could see how much work went into them! :o

I presume the larger one is Moro for sure....It is about 8ft. overall, with a blade of 19in., so it is massive! The blade has a patten welded core that was evident even its original state.

The second one is presumely Moro as well, but MUCH less sure. The spear is about 7ft. overall, and blade is leaf shaped and 13in. long, with a chieselled out panel in the middle. The curious thing is the banded ferrule of some white metal alloy. Please note the figures in each panel, all different in each panel, but two are more recognisable figures. Both figures appear to have Japanese/Chinese motifs and characteristics to me...one, looks like a lady in robes, the other, a dragon(?).

This strikes me as very odd for a Moro spear. I know the Moros were not Muslim purists, and that there were other influences in their form of Islam, but these figures seems strange by any Filipino standard, much less the Moro, who via Islam, should not have looked affectionately at figures in art, and certainly not human figures, and even less likely, women!

I am anxious to hear feedback and comments on this one in particular.

I feel certain these are all from Moroland as they were with a 'veteran' lot of 6 spears, five of them no doubt Moro, but this one just didn't quite seem to fit in for the reasons mentioned above.

Spunjer 25th March 2012 03:36 AM

Or Chinese motifs... Understand that there were pockets of chines
e population in Mindanao and Sulu. I vote Moro, bro...

Nathaniel 25th March 2012 05:03 AM

Fantastic pieces Charles! Thanks for showing us the fruits of your labor. They look great! I think the it looks Chinese as well. Hardly a place in Asia you can go and not find Chinese communities!

Robert 25th March 2012 08:20 AM

These are both great looking spears Charles and you have also done a very nice job of cleaning and restoration on them. I too especially like the one with the smaller blade and the engraved alloy collar. Can you tell if is it a silver alloy or not? Could you also post a picture of the complete spears? These would be a great addition to anyones collection, my congratulations to you on being able to acquire them for yours.

Robert

CharlesS 25th March 2012 01:36 PM

Thanks guys.

Robert, the length of these makes a full pic very difficult.

Sajen 25th March 2012 02:02 PM

Hello Charles,

beautiful spears. Although I am not an expert I think that both are Moro, the way it look let me think like this.
Me too forget many times to take pictures before restauration jobs! olleyes:

Regards,

Detlef

CharlesS 27th March 2012 03:02 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

nacho 27th March 2012 03:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Charles,

A similar moro spear was sold by Ashoka Arts last year. It also has the incised decoration using Chinese motif, on silver. This one has a twistcore blade. I have always wondered about this one, even at one point questioned whether it is moro (am now more convinced it is moro).

Edwin

Nonoy Tan 27th March 2012 04:46 AM

I have seen these kind of spears (i.e. with Chinese motifs and/or characters) in some residences located on the eastern coast of Palawan, facing the Sulu Sea. Some areas there are predominantly Muslim. Also the influence of the Chinese in these parts of Sulu have been very strong, in the past as well as the present.

CharlesS 27th March 2012 04:53 PM

Nacho,

Very interesting spear, and had someone asked be about it without having any clue torwards its actual attribution, I would be very pulled between Moro and Sumatran....Sumatran primarily because of the way the haft is worked.

Very interesting piece!

nacho 27th March 2012 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was posted by Lee, Nov 16, 2010. Similarly with incised decoration on silver. This one also has a twistcore blade.

Battara 27th March 2012 10:41 PM

What about Chinese Moros? There were some who had Chinese in their blood, and I heard of one even becoming a datu..........

harimauhk 28th March 2012 03:17 AM

The Chinese have definitely long been in and out of the Philippines: I was recently down in Basilan and Zamboanga, a stone's throw from Sulu, and there were Chinese businesses everywhere, even with the very real threat of shootouts and bombings. There has long been Chinese influence in the region. There was some very nice Chinese trade pottery on display at the museums in Sabah, Borneo too.

Battara 28th March 2012 02:38 PM

Thank you Harimauhk, my point exactly.

nacho 28th March 2012 03:20 PM

Speaking of Chinese in Sulu, the current governor of Sulu is Abdusakur Tan. I guess the "Tan" surname indicates he has Chinese lineage.

kino 14th June 2015 05:27 PM

Birds and the bees

3 Attachment(s)
It's not exactly plural. Adding to CharlesS complement of Chinese influenced Moro spears is this example. Described as a civilian Chinese spear, is an oddly shaped budiak. The spear head is ~12 in., from the tip to bottom of ferrule 22 in.
In my interpretation the etchings on the ferrule suggests that spring is in the air.

CharlesS 14th June 2015 09:43 PM

Kino,

One of the strangest and most interesting spears I have seen. Could you please post a pic of the spear head together with the ferrule and a small part of the haft??? I am curious what the overall look is.

Certainly looks like Moro forging, but I would never have guessed it from the blade shape, which looks very Chinese or SE Asian.

kino 15th June 2015 01:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The total length of the spear is 69 inches.

Battara 15th June 2015 01:44 AM

What a weird and unique piece! Never seen its like before Kino, thanks for posting it.

CharlesS 15th June 2015 05:48 PM

It's a "strange bird", but looks completely right together, and not a put together thing.

I love it!