Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hoplite Greek bronze Helmet reproduction (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23540)

francantolin 7th January 2018 05:52 PM

Hoplite Greek bronze Helmet reproduction

5 Attachment(s)
Hello and Happy New Year Everybody !

I bought a full size made of bronze reproduction of a greek hoplite helmet,
I bought it in a flea market,
I know it's just a copy but a nice decoration piece so I couldn't resist to buy it and show it !
Really heavy: more than 12kg/ 26,5 pounds !

The seller didn't know much about it,

Does anybody have ( seen) the same ?
Maybe a greek museum replica ?
Souvenir stuff ? ( but really uneasy to transport !...)

Kind regards

Franck

mariusgmioc 7th January 2018 06:33 PM

Most interesting and definitely NOT tourist stuff.

For museums and collectors that cannot afford the real stuff and for display.

kronckew 7th January 2018 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have a six inch high one pretty much like it. It lives on my window sill, souvenir of my one trip to Greece in the late 80's *. The 'originals' would have had a crest of horse hair, as even with that they are heavy and a bronze crest like the touristy ones would have been unbearable and awfully top-heavy. nice souvenirs, but in 'small'. mine weighs about 772 grams, after i cleaned out the spider webs. A modern bronze wearable re-enactor's repro i found for sale online weighs 1.91 kg without the crest & with a leather internal suspension, and 2.85 kg with it. Whomever bought & shipped yours was nuts, must have cost a fortune. Will look good in your display tho, and you probably got it for a steal.

*-I mostly recall that the locally brewed Lowenbrau was about $0.50 a litre. It was hot weather, and a cold beer hit the spot perfectly after wandering around the Acropolis.

fernando 7th January 2018 10:35 PM

Replicas should perhaps have a more fit place in the Miscellania section as, in lack of a due context, they do not fall within the scope of the European forum, as may be checked !.
Off we go :shrug:

francantolin 7th January 2018 10:44 PM

Ok Fernando, sure , I agree with you!
Thank you Marius and Kronckew for your comments !!
Glad for share a fresh beer one day !!

kronckew 8th January 2018 08:40 AM

Good move, fernando!

fernando 8th January 2018 09:37 AM

:cool:

kronckew 8th January 2018 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D - Beer's on francantolin

francantolin 8th January 2018 04:56 PM

:) :) :) thumbs up !!

M ELEY 8th January 2018 08:57 PM

A fantastic piece, modern or not! Love the verdigris coloring! Would look great in a display!

Robert 9th January 2018 02:44 AM

Could this possibly have originally been made to adorn a statue :confused: It does seem heavy enough to withstand the wear and tear of being left out in the elements. :shrug:

francantolin 9th January 2018 08:58 AM

Thank you Robert and Eley,

yes perhaps a ( modern ) statue part with his extra weight,
sadly too heavy for wear it !... :rolleyes:

David 9th January 2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Most interesting and definitely NOT tourist stuff.

For museums and collectors that cannot afford the real stuff and for display.

Forgive, since i don't know much about these, but weren't the crowns of these helmets made of thick horse hair or something. This looks like it would be seriously top-heavy and unwieldy in battle, so it hard for me to see this as a museum replica as i would image those would be made more like the original helmets were, i.e. usable. :shrug:

kronckew 9th January 2018 08:18 PM

see post no. three above.

colin henshaw 9th January 2018 09:10 PM

There is a shop in Bloomsbury, London selling replicas like these.