Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Early French Flintlock Musket (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19011)

templarnight 5th September 2014 03:27 PM

Early French Flintlock Musket

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all.

I am researching this Musket. My reference books unfortunatley lacking in thsi area so would appreciate any help in firmly IDing this.

Total length is 153cm, the Barrel is 113.5cm with a bore of 13mm.

The Lock is unmarked and is 16.9cm long.

Thanks for any help.

fernando 5th September 2014 04:05 PM

Can you disassemble the barrel and check whether tere are some marks underneath, specialy near the breech ?

Shakethetrees 5th September 2014 04:06 PM

I would have to check my references, but I think its a 1745-ish model, not the 1717, 1728 or the 1763.

I would like to see the side plate, nose cap, and butt plate tang if you can post more pix.

Shakethetrees 5th September 2014 04:09 PM

Sorry, I just saw the side plate when I returned to your original posting!

It looks to me that the hammer might be a replacement. The serpentine "flow" doesn't appear to be like the others I've seen.

templarnight 5th September 2014 04:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi. I did post a pic of the Side Plate, and im not sure what the Nose Cap refers to...as you can tell Muskets arent my area at all. Hope the pics of the Butt plate help.

I also notice that on the 'Side Plate' theres a P Stamp with something above.. possibly a Crown?

The Barrel hasnt been off in a very long time, will looking at any marks help with the ID?

fernando 5th September 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templarnight
... The Barrel hasnt been off in a very long time, will looking at any marks help with the ID?

In many cases you find symbols and even the barrel maker's name ... which definitely helps finding the origin of the gun.

Shakethetrees 5th September 2014 06:41 PM

It's a pinned barrel, so, unless you have experience with this type of fastening, don't disassemble it, as you could do more damage to the wood than you like.

fernando 5th September 2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
It's a pinned barrel, so, unless you have experience with this type of fastening, don't disassemble it, as you could do more damage to the wood than you like.

I should have thought of that !

templarnight 5th September 2014 07:00 PM

I think I will leave it alone as I dont have much experience!!

Ken Maddock 5th September 2014 10:29 PM

Hi nice item
I agree in don't take apart unless you have to
It looks very like a Potsdam 1740 musket especially the front sight
And the lock mechanism
However
The trigger guard not correct as should be brass on this model as should be the but plate but I am not an expert and there might be variations in iron

The sling back loop under the trigger guard was a weird design on this model rifle
so have a google of a Potsdam and compare to yours
I will have a dot of a search around but try Prussian Potsdam 1740 and you will be in correct period reckon
Regards
Ken

Ken Maddock 6th September 2014 12:33 PM

Hi again
I am going to move a country across and go with a French model 1728
Looks like a good match
Ken

fernando 6th September 2014 08:39 PM

Hijacking the thread

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
I should have thought of that !

Not that such is an impossible task. It all depends on the type of pin and how it is secured. You have them sometimes nearly falling off ... or even missing.
I had a look to examples in my collection; remembering that i even had to replace the pin in a couple of them. Some others are rather fixed and risking damage if messed with.