Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Swap Forum (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sikin/Peudeueng Panjang for trade (or sale) (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23481)

kai 25th December 2017 12:23 AM

Sikin/Peudeueng Panjang for trade (or sale)

12 Attachment(s)
Looking for a (possibly partial) trade, I am always interested in Indonesian/Malay/Moro high-end pieces. Lesser or damaged pieces may also pique my interest, especially if unusual or rare. Send me some pics and let’s discuss! (There may also be other pieces including a very rare triple-crowned sikin available from my collection if you need more of a tease…)

Aceh peudeueng panjang or sikin panjang with high-carat gold & enamel tampo of glupa type; this is a high status piece which would have been restricted to members of the nobility (high religious leaders were also known to wear these; leading imans/scholars were usually of noble blood, anyway). I've kept this sword as I received it; from the wear to the blade, hilt, and, especially, iron guard/bolster, I'd estimate it to originate from at least the early 19th, possibly 18th century (could well be 250 years old and still going strong… ;)).

Very old hilt of the less common hulu rumpung type; with deep patina and crafted from albino waterbuffalo horn. Wear consistent with age, especially noticeable towards the gaping jaws (pommel); tip of tang exposed (cp. top view).

Classic panjang-type blade with well-defined fuller along the back; a broad, shallow fuller along the middle of the blade. Blade with the typical integral bolster including reukueng rungiet (guard at each side) and 9-lobed calyx (both typical features of sikin from the greater Aceh region). If preferred, I can give the blade a slight etch/staining to make the laminations more visible (like it was traditional in Aceh).

The extant original scabbard carved from the resilient wood typical for Aceh fittings - it shows some older damage probably due to this wood’s inherent brittleness in low-humidity environments. The extensive inked talismanic decorations are fully visible though; you'll note an additional inscription on the backside of the scabbard! The remaining metal ring holding the scabbard should be suasa (I haven't ventured into testing it yet since I didn't want to mess with the really old patina).

Sword length 654 mm; blade length 522 mm (545 mm including the integral bolster).

My collection number 11460; more details on provenance known will be provided to its new caretaker.

I'm looking for a trade (suggested value €850) for this status piece.
Please email me proposals or feel free to request more info at (utilize copy & paste):
HTML Code:

kai99.eaa@mailnull.com
Thanks for looking!

Season’s greetings,
Kai

kai 25th December 2017 12:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics - let me know if you need any additional pics!