Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jimat and kudi collection (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23028)

Kulino 21st August 2017 11:47 AM

Jimat and kudi collection

6 Attachment(s)
Dear all,
In addition to the posting of keris sajen on the keris forum I will start to post the collection of kudi and jimat. I will continue doing this for as long interest is being shown. ( I don't wish to bore everyone out of their skulls) :)
Please visit the keris forum for more background information.

Kulino

Kulino 21st August 2017 11:50 AM

jimat batch2

3 Attachment(s)
Here is batch 2

Kulino 21st August 2017 11:54 AM

Kudi batch1

6 Attachment(s)
As promised, Kudi batch 1

Kulino 21st August 2017 11:55 AM

batch 2 kudi

2 Attachment(s)
Batch2.

Sajen 21st August 2017 08:13 PM

Hello Kulino,

thank you again very much for sharing! :) I personally would say that the jimats in post #1 & #2 are keris sajen of chundrik form, see also "Iron Anchestors" from Theo Alkema, page 138 and following.

Regards,
Detlef

kai 21st August 2017 08:26 PM

Hello Kulino,

Thanks a lot for posting these examples - please keep going!

If you have any ideas/hypotheses how to group some of these, I'd love to hear your thoughts since some features (like utilized iron, etc.) are next to impossible to glean from pics...

Regards,
Kai

Kulino 22nd August 2017 07:32 AM

Cundrik

Dear Detlef,
You are right. These Jimat are in mho cundrik.

Kulino 22nd August 2017 07:44 AM

Metal and grouping

5 Attachment(s)
Dear Kai,
The grouping for now has been detemined just by the rough shape. We didn't get around to groupe them by metal. We just agreed upon the fact that these are probably genuine and have considerable age. We pondered upon funtion but could not find any ground for the fact that kudi were once 'blade breakers'. There are way too thin an too light so serve that purpose. Look at the ones which have both features of keris and kudi or jimat. There is a area where they share features. This obscures the function even more.

Sajen 22nd August 2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulino
This obscures the function even more.

Hello Kulino,

I think the function is like the name said, "jimat" (talisman)!

Best regards,
Detlef

Kulino 22nd August 2017 07:58 PM

Jimat as talisman

Hi Detlef,
I agree, but there are so many jimat around, in the shape of tosan aji. In fact, in a way they all are jimat. This specific jimat type could refer, as stated somewhere in one of the other strings, to the face of Semar. Could they have a connection to wedung? Were they just for the common people? Is there, as suggested to me, have a specific field, just as the kudi? I was told that the holes in the kudi indicate the reach of it's power. Do all these sajen, jimat and kudi have something in common? At least they do by looking at the way the wesi was used.

Kulino 23rd August 2017 10:31 AM

Temuktik

Could there be a relation (looking at the shape) between temuktik and kudi? or is this simularity just pure by chance?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23021
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attach...d=169770&stc=1

Kulino 24th August 2017 04:33 PM

Stopping

Dear all,
As it seems there's limited interest for this string. I'll stop posting for now.

Rick 24th August 2017 09:22 PM

Very Much Appreciated!

I'm sure posting this much gets a bit tiresome; but please, take a break if you wish but do continue.

Kulino 27th August 2017 11:36 AM

Last box of Kudi

12 Attachment(s)
How can I refuse? :)

Kulino 27th August 2017 11:40 AM

second batch from this box

6 Attachment(s)
This is the last box of the kudi and jimat groupe. All in all, jimat and kudi are worth to study but hard to get a grip on.
I'm curious if there is anyone out there who has involved him/herself into this matter.

Kulino 27th August 2017 11:47 AM

one more?

1 Attachment(s)
This could be kudi related, although it is clearly a naga type talisman.

Well, that's all folks.

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Sajen 27th August 2017 11:36 PM

Again, what a great collection! :eek: :cool:

Kulino 28th August 2017 01:12 PM

Thank you Sajen

Thank you Sajen.
All credits to my friend who collected it, with love, over the best part of his life. Hope you enjoyed the sajen too.
Do you, does anybody have any idea how to interpret the morphology of the kudi or jimat?

Sajen 28th August 2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Hope you enjoyed the sajen too.

Yes, of course, thank you again very much to us this great collection!

Quote:

Do you, does anybody have any idea how to interpret the morphology of the kudi or jimat?

No, I have no clue. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Kulino 29th August 2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Yes, of course, thank you again very much to us this great collection!

No, I have no clue. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Too bad.
:(