Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chinese trousse knife/ eating set (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23261)

CNK1 13th October 2017 02:54 PM

Chinese trousse knife/ eating set

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I'm just happy to share with you my last find ! A nice chinese trousse set surely from the second part of XIXth century !

The blade is used but stay nice.

This set got his two wood chopsticks in the same wood but different color variation on both.

Unfortunately the ring of the scabbard is missing...

Hope you will enjoy :)

David 13th October 2017 06:06 PM

Nice, though is suspect it is more likely a 20th century piece.

CNK1 14th October 2017 03:16 PM

Hello David,

what makes you think that trousse set is 20th century ?

Best regards,
Clement

David 14th October 2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNK1
Hello David,

what makes you think that trousse set is 20th century ?

Best regards,
Clement

The style and method of the metal work simply does not look 19th century to me.

David 14th October 2017 09:39 PM

This set was in swap a few years back. I did the photography for the seller so i handled this one. I believe even this one was probably early 20th century though.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=807

Sajen 15th October 2017 02:50 AM

Have had a very similar one approx. one year ago and resold it and would agree with David, clearly 20th century. Older ones have most of the time eating sticks from ivory or bone also.

Regards,
Detlef

CNK1 15th October 2017 12:38 PM

Hello David, Detlef,

Thank's for your help !

So this set will surely go to the swap section :) if someone can help for the valuation (in private) it will be greatly appreciate !

Best regards,
Clement

Sajen 15th October 2017 12:59 PM

Hello Clement,

only because it's a 20th century trousse it isn't a collectible item.

Regards,
Detlef

CNK1 15th October 2017 08:44 PM

Hello Detlef,

I am not sure to understand what do you mean ? This trousse is not for you a collectible or the inverse ?

Best regards,
Clement

Sajen 15th October 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Hello Detlef,

I am not sure to understand what do you mean ? This trousse is not for you a collectible or the inverse ?

Best regards,
Clement

Hello Clement,

sorry, it was just a misspelling, it's a collectible for sure also when not over 100 years old! ;)

Regards,
Detlef

CNK1 16th October 2017 08:32 AM

Hello Detlef,

Don't worry this is more to my misconception of your words ;)

Thank's again for your help !

Best regards,
Clément

David 16th October 2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Hello David, Detlef,

Thank's for your help !

So this set will surely go to the swap section :) if someone can help for the valuation (in private) it will be greatly appreciate !

Best regards,
Clement

Like Detlef i also find this surprising. You obviously liked it when you acquired it. Now it seems you want to sell it just because it is not as old as you thought it was? It's an attractive trousse. And if you hold onto it for a few years it will get older. ;)

CNK1 16th October 2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Like Detlef i also find this surprising. You obviously liked it when you acquired it. Now it seems you want to sell it just because it is not as old as you thought it was? It's an attractive trousse. And if you hold onto it for a few years it will get older. ;)

Hello David,

I allways like new piece incomming in my collection but it's again more satisfying to me when à piece find a "new home", à collector whose like it to his historical value !

And this area of the world is really far to my collection theme so I prefer to make an other happy collector ;) but got no problem with the age of a piece... Too respectfull because I hope I will be again "fuctionnal" like them at their âge :D

Best regards,
Clément

shayde78 17th October 2017 03:05 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Rather than start a new thread on the same topic of a Chinese trousse, I'm hope you fine folks will offer some comments on the item pictured below.

While the metal work doesn't scream high quality, the chopsticks are either bone or ivory (I put the end of one to a flame and the smell of scorched 'bone' was distinct).

Also, there is a hallmark on the base with the Roman letters 'INA'...the remains of 'CHINA', perhaps??? The blade is also of FAR lower quality than Clement's seems to be. So, I suspect kit was made for the western market, but the possibility of ivory sticks leaves me hopeful for something more.

My gut says c.1960s. (Disclaimer-As usual, my gut draws from no actual knowledge or experience. Any claims to the contrary are patent nonsense, and should be soundly discounted)

Thanks, in advance!

Sajen 3rd November 2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayde78
Rather than start a new thread on the same topic of a Chinese trousse, I'm hope you fine folks will offer some comments on the item pictured below.

While the metal work doesn't scream high quality, the chopsticks are either bone or ivory (I put the end of one to a flame and the smell of scorched 'bone' was distinct).

Also, there is a hallmark on the base with the Roman letters 'INA'...the remains of 'CHINA', perhaps??? The blade is also of FAR lower quality than Clement's seems to be. So, I suspect kit was made for the western market, but the possibility of ivory sticks leaves me hopeful for something more.

My gut says c.1960s. (Disclaimer-As usual, my gut draws from no actual knowledge or experience. Any claims to the contrary are patent nonsense, and should be soundly discounted)

Thanks, in advance!

Just see that nobody has given reponse! :eek: Yes, would agree with you about the age and think also that hallmark means "CHINA" and that it's worked for the western market.

Regards,
Detlef

shayde78 6th November 2017 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Just see that nobody has given reponse! :eek: Yes, would agree with you about the age and think also that hallmark means "CHINA" and that it's worked for the western market.

Regards,
Detlef

Thanks Detlef!
My gut assessments may be getting better :eek: