Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Own a piece of history! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1275)

Lew 28th September 2005 01:56 AM

Own a piece of history!

Hi Guys

Now I heard everything! Years ago I was was very involved in collecting and designing custom made knives now I mostly collect antique weapons. Well tonight I was thumbing through one of the many knife magazines and came across a advertisement that reads own a piece of history it turned out that they were selling a set of seven knives 4 of which were some plain hunting knives made by a well known maker. Asking price was 60,000 dollars now I know these knives were made in the last 10 years. What history are they talking about? I must be collecting the wrong stuff :confused: I thought knives and swords that are 100's of years old are historical not 10 year old knives :confused:. I am so glad I now collect antique weapons and deal with people who live in the real world :)

Lew

ham 28th September 2005 02:51 AM

Alarming thought, certainly. But somehow not as bad as being referred to AS a piece of history...

Sincerely,

Ham

Rich 28th September 2005 03:14 AM

Lew -

What makes you think collecting old knives has anything to do
with people living in the real world??? :-) I've been collecting
old knives and swords for over 50 years and personally I think
the real world sucks. Give me my fantasies any day. Being totally
immersed, even for a few moments, in one's collections is a great
escape from the real world.

Rich S

VANDOO 28th September 2005 04:18 AM

RICH
AMEN BROTHER! :D

Mark 28th September 2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
RICH
AMEN BROTHER! :D

Hey, Barry! Where have you been? We need some Polynesian weapon posts. :)

M ELEY 29th September 2005 04:25 AM

Ahh,guys, I think what Lew was pointing out was not about old knives, but the recent manufactured pieces that are bringing as much or more than the REAL pieces of history. I can appreciate a modern keris or katana made by a master through the traditional arts, but don't call it a piece of history. It wasn't used in combat, in ritual, as a symbol of rank in any force, nor was it used in defense or as a tribal tool. Modern-made pieces should be looked upon as art, but not as history. Give me an old bowie, Spanish espada or Scottish baskethilt any day over the "newbies". :o

Battara 29th September 2005 07:17 AM

I second that (amen, hallelujah.....)! :D

knife7knut 30th September 2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich
Lew -

What makes you think collecting old knives has anything to do
with people living in the real world??? :-) I've been collecting
old knives and swords for over 50 years and personally I think
the real world sucks. Give me my fantasies any day. Being totally
immersed, even for a few moments, in one's collections is a great
escape from the real world.

Rich S

Well said Rich! Visions of some old soul hunched over a forge and anvil hammering out a piece of history are vastly preferable to some new soul hunched over a CNC machine turning out a piece of robotic eye candy.Just my opinion.
Ray