Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Forum New Mugshot Thread (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9)

Federico 1st December 2004 10:36 PM

New Forum New Mugshot Thread

Well, since this is a brand spanking new forum, with all the fancy bells and whistles, I figure its time for a new brand spanking new mugshot thread rather than resurrecting the old one. As before the theme will be Ethnographic Weaponry, so if possible at least post a pic with you holding something. Now I know Im starting this thread without posting a pic of my own, but I gots something in mind, but it will have to wait for the arrival of a couple of items first. :D So stay tuned;) Anyways, for those of you who are more ready to go, post away those lovely mugs of yours :rolleyes: :p

Andrew 2nd December 2004 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No bites yet, Fred? :D I'll go first. No weapon. Just a big bald guy squinting into the sun.

Spunjer 2nd December 2004 05:43 AM

i'm just living up to my name.... :D

http://www.getballistic.com/graphics...pwaterpark.JPG

that is all.

Andrew 2nd December 2004 06:29 AM

Are you in a pool? :cool:

rasdan 2nd December 2004 09:02 AM

Finally, i've decided. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...977/pakya4.jpg

Spunjer 2nd December 2004 12:47 PM

yup! instant wave; just add water...

unfortunately, it's not the Hawaiian juice that i started on, but to end up living smack in the heart of midwest and having a place to 'surf' within an hour's drive during summer, i considered myself extremely lucky.

btw, it's called a flowrider. florida got couple of 'um... :D :D :D

Andrew 2nd December 2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
yup! instant wave; just add water...

unfortunately, it's not the Hawaiian juice that i started on, but to end up living smack in the heart of midwest and having a place to 'surf' within an hour's drive during summer, i considered myself extremely lucky.

btw, it's called a flowrider. florida got couple of 'um... :D :D :D

Very cool. I just noticed where you live. No need for flowriders down here. Notice the background in my pic? Hutchinson Island gets overhead a few times a year, and is a fairly consistant break during the winter months.

I just need to get a board now. ;)

Aji™ 2nd December 2004 03:47 PM

Rasdan,
Superb piece, Just wondering if the the blade is being made locally in malaysia ?

Rick 2nd December 2004 03:57 PM

Drop Knee !

Quote:

i'm just living up to my name.... :D

http://www.getballistic.com/graphics...pwaterpark.JPG

that is all.

I'm impressed Spunjer .
Looks like you've got that place wired . :D
How long will the operator let you stay on the wave per ride ?

Have you ever surfed Cloud Break in the P.I. ?

Spunjer 2nd December 2004 03:58 PM

last time i was back in the Islands was two years ago; actually scored some pretty decent shorebreak at sandys and also a freak one day overhead wind swell at Pipeline. this was summer time, so needless to say, there were only four of us out there.

that's another reason why i can't wait to go to PI in february; score some hidden empty spots over there (mindanao). risky? kinda. worth it? definitely...

mindanao juice
http://www.surf.com.ph/albums/surf/surf80.jpg

Spunjer 2nd December 2004 04:02 PM

oops. typing kinda slow. beat me to it rick. no never surfed cloudbreak; would love to, tho (on smaller days ;) ).

as for the flowrider, on cold days, i've ridden it for an hour all to myself...

zelbone 2nd December 2004 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What's up with all the surfers here :eek: ?!?

Anyways, here's a pic of me in my "skate-punk" look :cool: ...Hard to believe I'm 37 by that photo :D .

At least I'm holding a kris and surrounded by swords :D

Spunjer 2nd December 2004 05:35 PM

nice shirt, bro ;)

Federico 2nd December 2004 06:28 PM

Great pics so far guys. Hoping that more will go up soon. Ill get my own up in due time, having to decide whether to wait for somethings to arrive first, or if the Typhoons in PI will cause much too much delay :D Anyways, keep em coming.

Federico 3rd December 2004 12:49 AM

ba da bump :D

rasdan 3rd December 2004 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aji™
Rasdan,
Superb piece, Just wondering if the the blade is being made locally in malaysia ?

Hi Aji,

I'm not sure where the blade is made. I'm guessing Sulawesi. I was told that the blade was previously owned by one of the Selangor Royal family member. True or not? I really dont know. :)

LabanTayo 3rd December 2004 02:49 AM

lets see.......

zamboanga 3rd December 2004 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
carlo simbajon, zamboangueño. with my father's moro cane and a rabo'y pagi kontra maligno.

nechesh 3rd December 2004 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasdan
Hi Aji,

I'm not sure where the blade is made. I'm guessing Sulawesi. I was told that the blade was previously owned by one of the Selangor Royal family member. True or not? I really dont know. :)

You know, frankly, i wouldn't much worry about who once owned that blade as long as it's yours now. ;)
Sweet!

rasdan 3rd December 2004 04:57 AM

Hi Nechesh,

Unfortunately, i only owned the blade, not the dress. Time to find a good one for it. :)

Spunjer 3rd December 2004 05:28 AM

zamboanga,

the rabo y pagi contra maligno; could you tell us what it's for? that looks pretty interesting...

zamboanga 3rd December 2004 07:54 AM

Quote:

zamboanga,

the rabo y pagi contra maligno; could you tell us what it's for? that looks pretty interesting...

its a whip made out of the tail of a sting ray. used by the locals in older times to fight supposedly evil spirits (kapres, aswangs, etc).

this one still has its stinger on.

Radu Transylvanicus 3rd December 2004 08:54 AM

A mere shadow of my ancestors ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aduDuelist.jpg

We`ve got Americans and Asians , time to bring :eek: some good old European fashion to the place ... Moi, en garde, waging war via Photoshop avec le family motto ... :cool:

zelbone 3rd December 2004 12:28 PM

That's more like it...

cool photo, Radu :cool: !

Rather 3rd December 2004 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That’s me and my war mace. Not really an edged weapon, but my friends I have a lot of fights with it. (… and a lot of fun!) :D

Spunjer 3rd December 2004 03:03 PM

thank you zamboanga, for saving my dignity. i had a feeling it was for those "beings" when i saw the word maligno. you see, i've been telling my wife (she's puti) and my kids tales i've heard growing up and that include the kapre that smoke cigar under the mango tree and those dreaded aswangs - mananangal in particular. to see you write those same words on the forum, much less with a weapon that's made to fight them; i can't thank you enuff . you are the MAN!!!

Spunjer 3rd December 2004 03:08 PM

whoa, rather,

is that a mace with an elixir of life in it :confused:? i just now noticed that...

Marc 3rd December 2004 03:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, if ,again, there's no need to preserve one's own dignity :rolleyes: , among friends, here's a couple of shots from a demonstration we did of 17th century Spanish swordsmanship. We were asked to please wear more or less period-ish attire, so, we tried to oblige as some Tercio's soldiers...
To me, swordsmanship is a field of knowledge I add to my study of antique weaponry. It is fun to an almost obscene level, also... :D
The weapons are modern reproductions to be used as trainers, I hope they comply... :)

Rather 3rd December 2004 06:21 PM

....well sure there is a lovely elexier in that mace, called bier ........ :) But originally it is an Englisch weapon, called Yard of Ale.

LabanTayo 3rd December 2004 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the fly fishing sword collector nerd, me.........