Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A rather nice Barung (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17403)

Flavio 7th July 2013 05:26 PM

A rather nice Barung

11 Attachment(s)
Hi all!!!!

It's passed a lot of time from my latest post with some new stuff... Hope to have time to post soon some of my new pieces!
Anyway here we go! A rather nice barung, or barong if you prefer :D (thank you Gustav!!)
I made the rattan bindings with the tutor of this old, but always helpful post of Mr Yarom

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...Binding+Rattan

Than I have etched the blade and a nice lamination pop up. The rest is normal routin (silver cleaning, wood claening, etc...)
Hope you like it

Flavio ;)

Sajen 7th July 2013 06:03 PM

Very nice barung and perfect restore job! :)

Regards,

Detlef

Flavio 7th July 2013 06:07 PM

Thank you, Detlef :)

CharlesS 7th July 2013 09:29 PM

Lovely piece and nice rattan work. Congrats!

VVV 8th July 2013 10:37 AM

Nicely restoration!

Michael

Flavio 8th July 2013 05:50 PM

Thank you guys! :) It was a quite simple restoration project, indeed :rolleyes:
Now I have a question: do you think that the barung and the scabbard are contemporary? Seems to me that the scabbard is older respect the barung.... :shrug:

Battara 9th July 2013 02:44 AM

Nice piece and nice work - no I think the scabbard is late 19thc or turn of the century.

kai 9th July 2013 08:35 AM

Hello Flavio,

I wouldn't be surprised if both were contemporary. If one of them happens to be younger my vote would be the scabbard.

Quote:

I have etched the blade and a nice lamination pop up.
Congrats, that's a new pattern for me! I've seen randomly-placed blotches but this one is different and most likely intentional. Neat!

Regards,
Kai

Gustav 9th July 2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai

I wouldn't be surprised if both were contemporary.

I had it in my hands and my opinion is, both scabbard and blade are antique.

kai 9th July 2013 02:24 PM

Hello Gustav,

Quote:

I had it in my hands and my opinion is, both scabbard and blade are antique.
Yes, think so, too.

I implied Flavio's comment to mean that blade and scabbard were contemporary to each other (not contemporary as in modern); sorry for the glitch.

Regards,
Kai

Spunjer 9th July 2013 03:20 PM

excellent work on the rattan bands, Flavio! also, the blade itself looks shandigan (minus the swollen edge)... is it relatively light (overall weight)?

Flavio 9th July 2013 05:16 PM

Thank you all for your comments! I was thinking that the scabbard was late 19th century and the barung a little bit recent, but I'm not an expert at all, and this was just an idea that comes in my head. I'm in love this barung, I love it and I tried to restore the best I can :p What all you say, guys, just let me happier and more..... I can't post just some pics and say "Hey, look at this piece! Look at this excellent job I've done!" :p I want to read from you some other comments since it's a while that I can't partecipate to the forum and truth is that.... I miss you guys ;)
Anyway, thank you so much for your comments!

Spunjer, I'll let you know the overall weight :) but it's not so light....

Battara 10th July 2013 04:05 AM

Well I think you did a great job on the etching and on the rattan! :)

Robert 10th July 2013 05:16 AM

I'm in total agreement with everyone else on this, you have done a wonderful job on the etching and rattan work. Congratulations on this great addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert

Rick 10th July 2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Hello Flavio,

I wouldn't be surprised if both were contemporary. If one of them happens to be younger my vote would be the scabbard.

Congrats, that's a new pattern for me! I've seen randomly-placed blotches but this one is different and most likely intentional. Neat!

Regards,
Kai

I was thinking that those are places where the core is showing . :shrug:

Flavio 13th July 2013 02:11 PM

Thank you all guys :)