Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Schiavona Bellunese (?) (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25607)

Evgeny_K 2nd February 2020 07:36 PM

Schiavona Bellunese (?)

2 Attachment(s)
I have long wanted to get schiavona and finally, this wish came true :)
As I was told it's early schiavona made in Belluna, 1570-80s (Thank you, Giovanni!)

Evgeny_K 2nd February 2020 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Evgeny_K 2nd February 2020 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Similar (bellunese?) markings on both sides of the blade.

Evgeny_K 2nd February 2020 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the blade was once shortened a bit.

fernando 2nd February 2020 07:51 PM

Great :cool:.
Any marks ?

Oh yes, the marks are shown in the other thread !

AndreaFeraro89 2nd February 2020 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For a reference, from Stibbert Collection (Florence).
This is a photo from the catalogue, written by LG Boccia.

Do not look at pommel and handle (probably they have been put together in the XIX cent.)

The etchings on the guard are so similar to your, almost identical!
Boccia says is Belunese, made around 1590-1600.

The difference with your is that this guard is more complex, and in my opinion is a little bit later than your.

Cheers
Giovanni

Evgeny_K 4th February 2020 09:14 AM

Thank you, Giovanni!
Probably these guards were made by the same swordsmith or in one workshop.

Philip 5th February 2020 06:13 AM

Congratulations, Evgeny. The simpler hilt construction of yours is a quite early design, your estimate of dates is right, and this style is seldom found. I don't object to the slightly shortened blade; these were issued for combat, not parade and occasional damages like this can be expected. The early hilt design more than makes up for it.

Evgeny_K 5th February 2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip
Congratulations, Evgeny. The simpler hilt construction of yours is a quite early design, your estimate of dates is right, and this style is seldom found. I don't object to the slightly shortened blade; these were issued for combat, not parade and occasional damages like this can be expected. The early hilt design more than makes up for it.

Thank you, Philip!

Philip 6th February 2020 03:58 PM

another example

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one in a private collection. The very simple guard on these has a "proto-" look, I think it is the immediate predecessor to the form that Ewart Oakeshott called Type I (the Stibbert example posted above has one of those guards). As regards the sword in this post, I have a gut feeling that the pommel may be a later replacement but I leave it to other forum members to comment as well.

Enibas 7th February 2020 11:46 AM

Evengy is a lucky one :-)

Hello everyone,

Philipp, I think the Sciavona that you posted is completely assembled (errors excepted, of course)

And thanks for praise to Evgeny's sword.

I was amazed at the reluctance in the forum for this unique piece. I have never seen this quality in any museum.

Evgeny, your sciavona has only one serious mistake: It is not mine :-)

Keep it as it is.

A nice week-end.

AndreaFeraro89 7th February 2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enibas
Hello everyone,

Philipp, I think the Sciavona that you posted is completely assembled (errors excepted, of course)

And thanks for praise to Evgeny's sword.

I was amazed at the reluctance in the forum for this unique piece. I have never seen this quality in any museum.

Evgeny, your sciavona has only one serious mistake: It is not mine :-)

Keep it as it is.

A nice week-end.

Completely agree with you @Enibas, that schiavona is really astonishing, very very rare to find such an early and complete model like this in the museum too! (Italy included)