Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dayak dagger...is it a Sadop?? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6520)

CharlesS 10th June 2008 08:45 PM

Dayak dagger...is it a Sadop??

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a nice old Dayak dagger, but in my mind it is a "Dayak jambiya", and I am wondering with the curvature if it classifies, technically, as a sadop??

What think you VVV??

Henk 10th June 2008 09:21 PM

CharlesS,

My two cents... I would classify it as a Beladau as the Dayak jambiya is called.

Very nice example.

VVV 10th June 2008 09:33 PM

Great find!!!

According to Juynboll & Co the Sadop has a straight, triangular blade.
In van Z it's quoted from Holstein that it also could have a slightly curved blade.
But when I read Holstein (p.244-245 in ...Tome Premier Études) I can't find anything else than that it is supposed to have a straight blade?
If it's curved it's either a Beladau/Baladau or a Jambiya/Djambieh.
Yours is according to my understanding a Malay Baladau from south-east Borneo.
If it would have had a more curved blade it would have been a Malay Jambiya.

Michael

Marcokeris 12th June 2008 07:56 AM

Beautifull!! :)

Maurice 12th June 2008 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VVV
Great find!!!

If it's curved it's either a Beladau/Baladau or a Jambiya/Djambieh.
Yours is according to my understanding a Malay Baladau from south-east Borneo.
If it would have had a more curved blade it would have been a Malay Jambiya.

Michael

Hi Michael,

When I look at the pictures of Schmeltz, I see a similar picture of a dagger Charless has and there it is called a "Djoembia".
It looks like the same curved blade as seen above. (Taf. XVIII, nr 3a & 3b).

Maurice

VVV 12th June 2008 10:15 AM

Hi Maurice,

Have you also noticed that the Sadop on Taf. XVII fig. 1 is called Baladau lebar?
I assume that that the Baladau was called Djembiah by some people and some other people kept the names apart?
Just like if you ask people today what things are called and you get several different answers for the same item.
It's probably only important with "strict names" for collectors, scientists and people who buy, or ask for, something from a distance?

Michael

Maurice 12th June 2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVV
Hi Maurice,

Have you also noticed that the Sadop on Taf. XVII fig. 1 is called Baladau lebar?
I assume that that the Baladau was called Djembiah by some people and some other people kept the names apart?
Just like if you ask people today what things are called and you get several different answers for the same item.
It's probably only important with "strict names" for collectors, scientists and people who buy, or ask for, something from a distance?

Michael

Hi Michael,

I agree, but it doesn't make it any easier when people call it this and other people call it that. :confused:
So it is good to have "strict names", I just have to find out still!

Maurice

Jim McDougall 12th June 2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Beautifull!! :)

nicely said!

David 13th June 2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
When I look at the pictures of Schmeltz, I see a similar picture of a dagger Charless has and there it is called a "Djoembia".
It looks like the same curved blade as seen above. (Taf. XVIII, nr 3a & 3b).

Maurice, you are ALWAYS going to find multiple names and spellings on ethnographic weapons. But i am sure you can see that "Djoembia" is phonetically the same as "Jambiya" and "Djambeih". But to some it is a Baladau. So we really only have 2 names for this blade then, not 4. That's not really too bad.
In America you have the "hood" of a car, in England it's called a "bonnet". And that is (supposedly ;) :D ) the same language. Nothing has "strict names". In tribal societies that are genetically and even linguistically tied there is often quite a bit of variation in how a specific tribe might name something. Who is to say which tribe has the "correct" name for that object? It's all relative to location and the people. For me this doesn't make things harder necessarily, though it does make them more complicated and in my opinion, more interesting. :shrug: :)

David 13th June 2008 03:46 AM

......oh yeah, beautiful knife. :)

Dajak 13th June 2008 04:01 AM

It is not an Dayak dagger it is an dagger that was made in Borneo .

Not al the weapons that are made in Borneo where in use by the Dajaks .

Ben

asomotif 11th July 2015 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for sharing, I am adding a beladau / Jumbia.

The handle and scabbard are horn with silver fittings.
It was collected by a dutch engineer working for the Bataafse Petroleum Maatschappij approx in the 1920's.

CharlesS 11th July 2015 11:49 PM

Gorgeous, nice, complete example. Could be get a close-up of the pommel carving?

Battara 12th July 2015 12:03 AM

Very nice example.......

Robert 12th July 2015 03:33 AM

Wonderful !!! Yes, could you please post a few more photos of this showing the detailing of the hilts carving as well as any engraving that it it might have on the silver bits?

Best,
Robert

asomotif 12th July 2015 09:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here they are.

The horn is in good condition. the silver was polished regularly in the past.

Sajen 12th July 2015 10:29 AM

Very nice piece you got there Willem! :)

Regards,
Detlef

asomotif 6th October 2018 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for sharing, a big brother beladau / Borneo dagger that was recently sold :)