Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   strange asian brass helmet what is it ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15611)

BerberDagger 25th May 2012 03:27 AM

strange asian brass helmet what is it ?
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hi at all ,

I come across at this strange helmet and I m not able to understand what it is !??
cerimonial ?

it is in one piece brass with brass mounts and turquoise , coral decoration .

any help is appreciated. thank you

Stan S. 25th May 2012 04:53 PM

Most likely Turkish but does not appear to be very old

David R 25th May 2012 05:38 PM

The fretted yellow metal, and the mix of coral and turquoise looks very Tibetan or Chinese to me. However a deep one piece skull is not typical of such...I suspect Chinese and of no great age. Having said that, I could always be wrong, and the Banner armies wore very archaic gear right into the 20thC.

BerberDagger 25th May 2012 05:46 PM

thank you for comment , the interior have a good patina but in my opinion not before of early XX Century , is much difficult becouse brass and bronze dont rust like iron ....

the total helmet is all brass .... I olso think turkish ...

Battara 25th May 2012 09:06 PM

The Turks did use red coral and turquoise too...........

kahnjar1 25th May 2012 10:22 PM

Well out of my field BUT......that "rosette" below the large badge on the front of the helmet looks distinctly Japanese or perhaps Chinese to me.
A nice attractive piece by the way.
Stu

Dom 26th May 2012 12:08 AM

if it's Turkish, then, this item is not recorded in no one collection !! :shrug:
it seems to me more an accessory of theater or of cinema, than an old helmet
anyway, beautiful decorative element

it's only my point of view, I may be wrong, I'm not an expert, just an amateur :p

+

Dom

BerberDagger 26th May 2012 09:46 AM

thank you at all .... I dont think it theatrical or cinema , I most think it could be cerimonial or decorative becouse of brass and not iron . Of sure not much older olso if very nice and well made .
The form remember me olso russian or cental asian helmets very similar the turkish ... olso the central decoration ....

Stan S. 26th May 2012 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerberDagger
thank you at all .... I dont think it theatrical or cinema , I most think it could be cerimonial or decorative becouse of brass and not iron . Of sure not much older olso if very nice and well made .
The form remember me olso russian or cental asian helmets very similar the turkish ... olso the central decoration ....


Russians generally stoped wearing this style of helmets sometime in late 17th century. It is a pretty archaic form but definetely something simmilar to what was popular in Russia during the renassance

trenchwarfare 31st May 2012 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Well out of my field BUT......that "rosette" below the large badge on the front of the helmet looks distinctly Japanese or perhaps Chinese to me.
A nice attractive piece by the way.
Stu


The lower device on the front, does look to be a sixteen petal Chrysanthemum. The Imperial Japanese seal. If the other "Mums", all have sixteen petals. I would lean towards a Japanese connection. Possibly early 20th century ceremonial, from one of the Japanese Colonies? Manchukkuo (Manchuria) Formosa (Taiwan), or Chosen (Korea). It does have a Chinese, Tibetan look to it.

Dmitry 3rd June 2012 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
Russians generally stoped wearing this style of helmets sometime in late 17th century. It is a pretty archaic form but definetely something simmilar to what was popular in Russia during the renassance


There were no Russian helmets per se, imho. The styles of helmets they wore were Turkish-The select few extant examples of princely quality have Orthodox imagery.
Just my $.02

yuanzhumin 22nd July 2012 06:37 AM

Not Taiwanese/Formosan, for sure.
Best,
Yuanzhumin


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.