Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Madura Wrongko's of Various Types? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3183)

Marcokeris 4th October 2006 12:12 PM

Thanks Alan for your interesting response

Jussi M. 17th March 2011 09:32 AM

Up!

Is this not a classic?

Thanks,

J.

Sajen 29th December 2012 02:42 PM

8 Attachment(s)
By searching through old threads I stumbled about this one and have to add some Madura sheaths.

Sajen 30th December 2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi M.
Up!

Is this not a classic?

Thanks,

J.

Agree, this should be a classic thread!

Marcokeris 30th December 2012 12:16 PM

Agree, .....beautiful madura you have Sajen :)

Sajen 30th December 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Agree, .....beautiful madura you have Sajen :)

Thank's Marco. :)

Jean 30th December 2012 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
By searching through old threads I stumbled about this one and have to add some Madura sheaths.

Hello Sajen,
Nice pieces! According to M.M. Hidayat, the warangka of your last specimen is in a style locally called capil.
Any opinion if the attached style of sandang walikat warangka is from (continental) East Java or Madura?
Regards

Sajen 30th December 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Sajen,
Nice pieces! According to M.M. Hidayat, the warangka of your last specimen is in a style locally called capil.
Any opinion if the attached style of sandang walikat warangka is from (continental) East Java or Madura?
Regards

Hello Jean,

thank's! :) The capil sheathed keris is a patrem.

I think the sandang walikat style can be found in East Java as well in Madura.

Regards,

Detlef

Rick 30th December 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi M.
Up!

Is this not a classic?

Thanks,

J.

Added ! :)

Jean 30th December 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jean,

thank's! :) The capil sheathed keris is a patrem.

I think the sandang walikat style can be found in East Java as well in Madura.

Regards,

Detlef

Hello Sajen,
Thanks! Actually my 2 krisses have a rather short blade also (30 cm) and the one with the wooden sandang walikat sheath has a similar hilt to your patrem (village style?).
Regards

Sajen 30th December 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Added ! :)

Thank's! :) ;)

Sajen 30th December 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Sajen,
Thanks! Actually my 2 krisses have a rather short blade also (30 cm) and the one with the wooden sandang walikat sheath has a similar hilt to your patrem (village style?).
Regards

I think it's a very common planar hilt style from Madura, most of the time I have seen it with the three similar scabbards I have posted in the up (# 43).

Bjorn 4th November 2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Goodness gracious me!
One thing that could be considered in deciding if we are looking at a Madurese or a Balinese keris is the physical size of the keris concerned.

Balinese keris are worn with the gandar tucked into the top of the sarung at the back, and the handle standing above shoulder height.

Madurese keris are worn tucked into the setagen around the waist.

A Balinese keris in its wrongko is normally long enough to allow projection above the wearer`s shoulder, a Madurese keris is about the same size as most Javanese keris, designed to be worn at the waist.

As I've only handled a small number of keris myself - and no Bali-Madura keris at all - I am curious about what kind of lengths to expect on Balinese wilah from Madura.

To my knowledge and in my experience, Javanese and Maduran blades are usually around 35 cm (13.5") while proper Balinese blades are around 40 cm (15.5") and up.

Would most Bali-Madura keris then also fall into the category of being around 35 cm long? Or could they still easily go up to around 40 cm, which seems somewhat short for a Balinese blade but somewhat long for a Javanese keris.

For those of you with Bali-Madura blades, could you share their lengths with us so we can form a better frame of reference?

A. G. Maisey 4th November 2014 10:33 PM

Withdrawn.

A. G. Maisey 28th November 2018 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my long time favourites that escaped from captivity a couple of weeks back.

This form has a lot of variations, they were usually carved by the person who owned the keris, not kraton wear, but rural village use and a form of folk art.

The motif is a personal choice and is normally some sort of flower or leaf or vine type motif.

Rick 28th November 2018 03:21 AM

Exquisite masterful carving; I don't think I have ever seen a better example of this style of wrongko.

A. G. Maisey 28th November 2018 04:37 AM

Thanks for your compliments Rick, but I do have a few more of these, and in my opinion the ones I still have are probably better than this one.

I like these wrongkos, some people think they were early examples of the dreaded "Kerisus Turisticus", but this is quite incorrect, they were and are a form of folk art.

Sajen 9th March 2023 08:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I received this wrongko from Madura, I think it's worth to add to this thread. :)

Sajen 9th March 2023 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another one which is worth for sharing.

Sajen 9th March 2023 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And a third one.

David 10th March 2023 11:08 PM

Yes Detlef, i would say all three are good additions to this thread. Shame about the damage on the first one, which is really an extraordinary example of this ladrang form. I do believe a better restoration of this could be achieved, though the skills are beyond my own. But i have seen such work even by certain members of our forum.

Sajen 10th March 2023 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 280043)
Yes Detlef, i would say all three are good additions to this thread. Shame about the damage on the first one, which is really an extraordinary example of this ladrang form. I do believe a better restoration of this could be achieved, though the skills are beyond my own. But i have seen such work even by certain members of our forum.

Hello David,

Thank you! And don't worry, I am working on it. 000 steel wool and a dark wax let it look much better now. Still need to fill up the gap. I am sure that I can do it nearly invisible.

Regards,
Detlef