Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   solomon island spears ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22680)

chiefheadknocker 10th May 2017 10:06 PM

solomon island spears ?

3 Attachment(s)
i have recently acquired these spear tips ,I assume they are just the tips as they measure 130 cm in length , I believe they are from the Solomon islands ,any more info would be great ,thanks

Tim Simmons 11th May 2017 05:16 PM

Yes Solomons. Yes tips or 1/2 more like.

asomotif 11th May 2017 07:28 PM

Beautifull !

Maybe downsized for transport ?

Sajen 11th May 2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Beautifull !

Maybe downsized for transport ?

Second both statements! So far I know they are very long so cut down for transport. Beautiful patination! :eek: :)

chiefheadknocker 11th May 2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Second both statements! So far I know they are very long so cut down for transport. Beautiful patination! :eek: :)

I thought they were Solomon islands but then some of them maybe papua , but then looking at them they all have the same old patination and I would think they were collected at the same time and have been together for a long time , I expect on voyages space was limited and this is why they were cut down ?

Gavin Nugent 12th May 2017 08:17 AM

Stunning examples and patina.

It is a shame our fore fathers did not have the fore sight to try a little harder to preserve such rarities in their entire form, items which were once so common...no so very rare...

Gavin

colin henshaw 12th May 2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent

It is a shame our fore fathers did not have the fore sight to try a little harder to preserve such rarities in their entire form, items which were once so common...no so very rare...

Gavin

Very true, its common to see good old boomerangs with holes drilled through, presumably for nailing to a wall.

Gavin Nugent 12th May 2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Very true, its common to see good old boomerangs with holes drilled through, presumably for nailing to a wall.

Indeed, I've a very rare Fang axe wall mounted in the same manner...

chiefheadknocker 12th May 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent

Gavin

yes its such a shame they have been cut down , these examples show good age i would say early 19th century, if they were collected in this era i expect space on ships was limited and maybe this is why a lot of spears were cut down , they still display well and i admire them every day :)