Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bankung with Scabbard ebay (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14044)

Battara 6th July 2011 09:41 PM

Bankung with Scabbard ebay

4 Attachment(s)
Greetings folks. Thought I would post this for our archives. This is a bankung that ended abruptly on ebay. Enjoy.

mross 6th July 2011 09:51 PM

Blade shape to me does not look right.

Battara 6th July 2011 10:05 PM

I admit that the blade shape is not wider at the end for a good or perhaps early bankung. It may also be a variation of the genre. Hard to tell....... :shrug:

Atlantia 6th July 2011 10:33 PM

LOL, eBay showed that to me in the 'heres what other people are watching' section.
No entry for 'Bankung' in Stones, can someone elaborate?

tom hyle 7th July 2011 01:31 AM

note the baca/asang

CharlesS 7th July 2011 03:31 AM

Noticing the indention at the top of the scabbard for the hilt ferrule, it does not look like a correct fit. ....just wondering if the two were "born together"?

ThePepperSkull 7th July 2011 07:32 AM

(Nothing to do with the blade of origin-- but what is the wood used for the sheath? Is it some sort of palm wood? I have a Pira with a scabbard made of identical wood and was just curious) :D

tom hyle 7th July 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Noticing the indention at the top of the scabbard for the hilt ferrule, it does not look like a correct fit. ....just wondering if the two were "born together"?

I noticed that, but often on Mindinao Malay sheaths that socket is actually round, so that the part where it crosses the face of the sheath is narrower than the center of the ferule, but the center of the socket is as wide as the ferule, which is also round.

tom hyle 7th July 2011 06:41 PM

it's not palm. It appears to be tree wood; note the "knot" palm is a cycad, not a tree, and doesn't have branches as such, so no knots. Also, it has a rather distinct apperance, more similar to "interlocking" grain of some tropical trees (ex monkeypod and tropical mahagony).
Does the sword fit in the scabbard? we see it in a not-fully-inserted position twice?

Battara 7th July 2011 11:19 PM

Atlantia - you will find bankung in the back section of Cato's Moro Swords.

Charles - a good point about not being originally together.

The Pepperskull - maybe palm wood, but I have seen narra wood like this too. Not too sure. :shrug:

Atlantia 7th July 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Atlantia - you will find bankung in the back section of Cato's Moro Swords.

Charles - a good point about not being originally together.

The Pepperskull - maybe palm wood, but I have seen narra wood like this too. Not too sure. :shrug:

LOL,
Thanks Jose, then all I need is a copy of Robert Cato's Moro Swords. ;)

Best
Gene

Rick 8th July 2011 04:24 AM

Has it become as scarce as The Grail these days ?

There's usually 1 ot 2 floating around; no ? :shrug:

Battara 8th July 2011 06:21 AM

According to Cato yes, however I would modify it as earlier ones are rare, later ones maybe not, like pira - older ones rare, but not later ones.