Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please, help requested ... (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9995)

Dom 18th April 2009 05:23 PM

Please, help requested ...

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gentlemen

Please, help requested ... for a translation :p
for time been it's me is in need :shrug:

in fact my brother is residing in Tachken - Usbekistan
ask for me my point of view about a dagger,
and translation of the blade mention

the dagger don't seem very old, but brandy new,
somebody know or have an idea about that type :confused:

I must confess my total ignorance in cyrillic alphabet, in general
and russian language in particular :o

could some one may help me for the translation

Thanks per anticipation

à +

Dom

TVV 18th April 2009 07:22 PM

Not a Russian speaker, but I believe the writing to be a name, most likely of the manufacturer: "Nikitin Molev". It is possible that these are two separate last names, perhaps the names of two people who had a knife factory. The "ъ" at the end of Molev, if I am not mistaken, signifies pre-Communist spelling, which would date the kindjal to the beginning of the 19th century.
Regards,
Teodor

David 18th April 2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
The "ъ" at the end of Molev, if I am not mistaken, signifies pre-Communist spelling, which would date the kindjal to the beginning of the 19th century.

Did you mean the beginning of the 20th century? The communist revolution took place in 1917.

TVV 19th April 2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Did you mean the beginning of the 20th century? The communist revolution took place in 1917.

Of course, I meant 20th http://www.twcenter.net/forums/image...ns/mad0218.gif . Thank you for catching this.
Teodor

ALEX 19th April 2009 10:18 AM

Teodor, not bad for non-Russian speaker:-)
Dom, Teodor got it right. These are two separate Russian names, and the "ъ" letter signifies 'old Russian' language. Could be factory, maker(s), owner(s), etc. but definitely "Nikitin Molev" are two (or one) last name(s), most likely two, as in case of one name it'd spell as "Nikitin-Molev".
I also agree, the fittings look new, especially the handle, but the blade shows some age based on the picture, so could be old.
But, the "ъ" in the end of 'Molev' is used to make a word ending 'soft', just like on the famous "Medunovъ" mark. Conventionally, one would expect it to be present after 'Nikitin' as well, but it is not. I am not versed in the 'old Russian' grammar, but let's see if other members would be able to clarify my concern.

TKV 19th April 2009 11:35 AM

Both "Nikitin" and "Molev" look like Russian surnames. I think it's not the full name of one person.
As it used to be on caucasian kindjals first name may be the owner's surname and second may be the maker's surname.

ariel 19th April 2009 01:03 PM

The absence of Ъ at the end of the name "Nikitin" is puzzling. It clearly strays away from old Russian orthography.
Also, the configuration of the pommel, the liberal use of heavy cast brass fittings, the diamond shape of the blade, overall small size and the ornaments remind me most of Balkan work.

Dom 19th April 2009 05:18 PM

Thanks Gentlemen :D

I was sure to count on you :p

à +

Dom

TVV 19th April 2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
The absence of Ъ at the end of the name "Nikitin" is puzzling. It clearly strays away from old Russian orthography.
Also, the configuration of the pommel, the liberal use of heavy cast brass fittings, the diamond shape of the blade, overall small size and the ornaments remind me most of Balkan work.

I thought the same thing, but the names sound distinctly Russian. There was a famous knife-making factory in Gabrovo, Bulgaria, which supplied the army with bayonets, but also produced kindjals - "Avramov & Kovachev". If I have Dom's permission to use the pictures, I can ask around.
Teodor

Dom 19th April 2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
If I have Dom's permission to use the pictures, I can ask around.
Teodor

Hi Teodor

you may proceed, full permission :D

à +

Dom

TVV 22nd April 2009 07:54 PM

Dom, the marking on the kindjal is unknown in Bulgaria. While this does not rule out the Balkans as a possibility, I believe the Serbian spelling would be different, and so the manufacturer should be sought in Russia. The names are Russian anyway.
Sorry I can not be of more help.
Teodor

Dom 23rd April 2009 09:47 AM

Thanks again Teodor
don't apologize :p
you have clears up very well the situation
and it's very essential and valuable :D

best regards

à +

Dom

ariel 26th April 2009 12:44 PM

Now look here:
http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/79/454210-0.html
Same names, but spelled in Latin.
I think, this supports the Balkan ( Croat???) origin

Dom 28th April 2009 12:00 AM

yes Ariel u r correct, exactly same blade
thanks for yr support :D

à +

Dom

TVV 28th April 2009 02:34 AM

If anything, the hilt on the example with Latin writing seems Russian to me :shrug: .