Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dragon kris ID? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15541)

mykeris 7th May 2012 10:40 AM

Dragon kris ID?

4 Attachment(s)
Dear forum friends,
appreciate if you could help identifying tangguh of this javanese keris, 11 curves, rather small compared to standard javanese dragon kris. tq so much in advance. mykeris.

Gustav 7th May 2012 09:22 PM

Tangguh Kamardikan, without any doubts.

mykeris 8th May 2012 05:09 AM

tq Gustav.BTW, what is karmadikan? I hardly come across with this word 5 years back...its new to me, pls help to explain. tq again.mykeris.

Greybeard 8th May 2012 08:57 AM

Hi Mykeris, a keris Kamardikan is a keris that was made in recent times. Regards, Heinz

Jean 8th May 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav
Tangguh Kamardikan, without any doubts.

I agree, and probably from Madura.
Kamardikan means independence (krisses made after 1949) and it is by far the most common tangguh on the market :D
The hilt is from Banjarmasin (South Borneo).
Regards

mykeris 8th May 2012 12:15 PM

Thanks Heinz & Jean....will add that useful info to my mind. :)

mykeris 8th May 2012 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Heinz & Jean....will add that useful info to my mind. :)

Happy viewing Marcokeris... :)

Marcokeris 8th May 2012 12:43 PM

Possible to see the hilt? Thanks :)

mykeris 8th May 2012 01:12 PM

Empu made Naga Keris

Appreciate, if you all could be kind enough to post some real naga gold kerises made before the independence of Indonesia, it would help to strengthen my knowledge of javanese naga kerises. tq in advance. :)

Marcokeris 8th May 2012 06:55 PM

From pic the banjar hilt seems old with (probably) two new blue stones. Nice hilt
:-)

Jean 8th May 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykeris
Appreciate, if you all could be kind enough to post some real naga gold kerises made before the independence of Indonesia, it would help to strengthen my knowledge of javanese naga kerises. tq in advance. :)

Such krisses cost a fortune (in the range of 100,000 USD but could vary significantly from one piece to another according to the age and quality) so unfortunately I have none to show :(
You can view some specimens in the kris books (e.g. Keris Jawa) or museums but many of them are from 20th century.
Regards

David 9th May 2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
You can view some specimens in the kris books (e.g. Keris Jawa) or museums but many of them are from 20th century.

You can see a couple of nice examples on pgs. 29 and 163 in Court Arts of Indonesia if you are interested.
I agree with others that yours is contemporary (post Independence and most probably post 1970s) and the Banjarmasin hilt is inappropriate for this form.

mykeris 10th May 2012 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Agreed with you David :) but I have another guess perhaps prior to 1950s - 1960s based on its its medium size, 'garapan'(handwork) quality and its 'natural looking' dragon keris. Sure, the hilt should be of Javanese nature. :) Tq again...mykeris.

David 10th May 2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Agreed with you David :) but I have another guess perhaps prior to 1950s - 1960s based on its its medium size, 'garapan'(handwork) quality and its 'natural looking' dragon keris. Sure, the hilt should be of Javanese nature. :) Tq again...mykeris.

Do you care to be more specific about your guess? What exactly about the garap do you see as a clue to this? What are the sources of the keris you are comparing it to in this last post? And why do you keep calling a naga a "dragon"? :)

mykeris 10th May 2012 01:13 PM

Perhaps, it looks natural, sorry no reference, through 'feel', it coud be not appropriate & acurate:)

Jean 10th May 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Perhaps, it looks natural, sorry no reference, through 'feel', it coud be not appropriate & acurate:)

Hello Mykeris,
I can understand your "feeling" that this is an older kris from the worn-out kinatah and deep carving especially and I was hesitating when I first saw it. However the carving is overdone and does not seem to be finely made in the cavities, and in the kris world I have learned that "too much or too nice is suspect" :)
Regards

mykeris 11th May 2012 02:56 AM

It doesnt matter Jean, I feel good knowing that it wasnt made yesterday, at least as David said...1970s...thats really good enough......as acquiring older ones would cost by hundred thousands. Appreciate all comments from you all, I love your Experience!. TQ:)