Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Statuette for ID (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25245)

fernando 30th August 2019 05:16 PM

Statuette for ID

4 Attachment(s)
Would any of you guys take a guess at where this little statuette came from in Africa ?

mariusgmioc 31st August 2019 09:36 AM

Hello Fernando,
I is very difficult to precisely locate this sculpture as it can be from anywhere in Africa, with maybe the exception of North Africa.
So Congo, Tanzania, Benin, Kenya, etc.
Maybe there will be somebody more knowledgeable to give you a more precise answer.
:shrug:

fernando 31st August 2019 09:39 AM

Thank you so much :cool: .

kronckew 31st August 2019 10:48 AM

She looks angry. :eek:

fernando 31st August 2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
... She looks angry... :eek:

Just like someone i know, when he misses his Port & barnacles :rolleyes:.

kronckew 31st August 2019 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny, I was staring at my bottle of Dow's Master Blend "Finest Reserve Port" last night, almost had a bit. Then this morning my screen background showed the attached and I thought "Been there, done that, had the T-Shirt - and don't want to do THAT again.". So I copied a section of it.

fernando 31st August 2019 03:56 PM

:confused:

kronckew 31st August 2019 06:00 PM

I missed my glass of port & the ship no doubt had barnacles. seemed to fit. Odd coincidence?

mariusgmioc 14th September 2019 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Fernando!
Lucky strike!
I am currently in Tanzania and just purchased a very, very similar statue, but in ebony.
It is Makonde. Makonde people are inhabiting Mozambique, Tanzania and a small region of Kenya and are famous for their carvings.
You can browse the net and look for "makonde raw ebony bust" and most certainly find what I am talking about. I also attach a photo from the net.
Mine has strikingly similar features with yours. Maybe will send you a photo of it once I get home.

fernando 14th September 2019 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you Marius.
However may i be skeptical about the suggested origins of both my sculpture and the example you show :o .
I know a little about Macondes; i have been in contact with them during my army service in norther Mozambique. I saw them working the black wood and even bought a couple pieces to bring home; the religious images version, for my mother. In the version of human images they usually depict faces like their own, deeply tattooed. So when i see someone announcing a Maconde bust with a plain face i immediately doubt it is genuine. I might be wrong but ...
Also that know of, they are known to basically work black wood, not ivory... but again.

mariusgmioc 14th September 2019 05:18 PM

Well, near Dar es Salaam there is a Makonde ethnic village where they have on sale exactly this type of sculptures... among about 1895.3 other types. :)

So, I guess they are, at least nowdays, producing a whole range of artwork for all tastes.

Once I get home, I will take some photos of my statue and send them to you.

Meanwhile... this was my best guess! :shrug:

fernando 14th September 2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
... Meanwhile... this was my best guess! :shrug:

Which i thank you :cool: .
I was there in 1969/1970.