Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Persian Khanjar with the inscription (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24199)

mahratt 14th August 2018 09:21 AM

Persian Khanjar with the inscription

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys!

Can you please tell me what is written on the blade of this Persian Khanjar?
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the date is: 1801?
And how is the inscription on the blade translated?

ALEX 14th August 2018 10:45 AM

Mahratt,
What a beautiful dagger! I believe the date is 1214 Hijri, with the last numeral being old Persian "4"(?), which would correspond to 1799 Gregorian, which would make it 18th Century by one year:) The inscription is a maker (made by). I trust someone will translate the name. A wonderful dagger it is!

motan 14th August 2018 10:53 AM

Hi Mahratt,

I am not proficient in Arabic, but it looks to me like "A'mal Makhmai'd" (made by Makhmaid). Not a common name in Arab countries, but I know it exists.
As for the date, I can confirm: 1214 Hijri is 1800-1801 in Gregorian calendar.
Wow, this is a dagger with great age and quality and near perfect condition for it's age. Museum quality. The gold is inlay, not koftgari, isn't it?
Anyway, considering my Arabic skills, you should get a second opinion.

motan 14th August 2018 11:12 AM

OK. I figured I was wrong, so I asked a friend who can really read. Made by Mohammad Nay. You can trust my source. :D

motan 14th August 2018 11:24 AM

Another mistake. I miscalculated the date. Alex is right: 1799-1800, though you will never know which because Hijri years always fall in two different Gregorian years..

mahratt 14th August 2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX
Mahratt,
What a beautiful dagger! I believe the date is 1214 Hijri, with the last numeral being old Persian "4"(?), which would correspond to 1799 Gregorian, which would make it 18th Century by one year:) The inscription is a maker (made by). I trust someone will translate the name. A wonderful dagger it is!

Thank you very much for the information and pleasant words!

mahratt 14th August 2018 03:07 PM

Hi motan

Thank you for the translation of the inscription! Yes,gold is inlay. :)

mahratt 14th August 2018 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The other side of the dagger.

mariusgmioc 15th August 2018 10:40 PM

Excellent aquisition! I believe it may be wootz. If I were you, would try to etch it. :)

Likhari 15th August 2018 11:54 PM

INSCRIPTION TRANSLATION

2 Attachment(s)
The correct translation of the inscription is AMAL- E- MOHAMMAD HADI (Made by Mohammad Hadi). There is a dagger by the same blacksmith in the collection of Harvard College (See attached images). Congrats Mahratt this is a good find!

AJ1356 16th August 2018 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Likhari
The correct translation of the inscription is AMAL- E- MOHAMMAD HADI (Made by Mohammad Hadi). There is a dagger by the same blacksmith in the collection of Harvard College (See attached images). Congrats Mahratt this is a good find!

Muhammad Haadi is correct as stated here, the earlier translation (nadi) is wrong.

mahratt 16th August 2018 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Excellent aquisition! I believe it may be wootz. If I were you, would try to etch it. :)

Hi, mariusgmioc

The blade is wootz. :)

mahratt 16th August 2018 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Likhari

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ1356
Muhammad Haadi is correct as stated here, the earlier translation (nadi) is wrong.

Thank you, guys!

Thank you for congratulations and for translating the inscription!