Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The beauty of patterns on steel (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1702)

RSWORD 31st December 2005 10:09 PM

The beauty of patterns on steel

6 Attachment(s)
I enjoy blades that exhibit a pattern on the surface of the blade. Here are a few pictures to enjoy heading into the New Year.
1) An example of Indian pattern welding at its best
2) An example of Chinese pattern welding where the cutting edge is inserted in a body of pattern welded steel and heat treated with a nice undulating pattern at the edge
3) An interesting example of wootz where there are "stripes" across the body of the blade
4) An example of Persian wootz with vivid active pattern
5) An example of Persian wootz, ladder pattern, with a single "rung" being depicted
6) An example of Persian wootz of great clarity and boldness

Enjoy.

VANDOO 1st January 2006 02:05 AM

represenitives from the keris

4 Attachment(s)
I ALSO ESPECIALLY LIKE THE PATTERNS SOMETIMES FOUND IN STEEL, HERE ARE A FEW KERIS PARMORS. 1. PARMOR BLARAK NGIRID
2 &3 PARMOR BUNTEL MAYET. 4. PARMOR BONANG

VANDOO 1st January 2006 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A FEW MORE KERIS PARMORS. I HAD SEVERAL MORE PARMORS BUT FOR SOME REASON CAN'T GET THEM ALL TO DOWNLOAD IT SKIPS SOME AND DOWNLOADS OTHERS? SO HERE IS JUST ONE MORE WITH A FAIRY ON THE BLADE I DON'T KNOW THE PARMOR. :confused:

simatua 1st January 2006 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For those who are interested in kerises.
In the netherlands are always several kerises for sale.
But not everybody place the goods on ebay.
Curious whats goes around in our small country?
try www.veilingkijker.nl and type: keris or kris at the top.
you will see a list of all local selling.
I think i saw one of these pamors is for sale.

here some pictures of new but good pamor.
new keris with kul buntet and buntel-mayit.
I hope the photo will show the pamor miring ( standing )

Ferguson 1st January 2006 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The subtle pattern on a sundang.

Steve

Jens Nordlunde 1st January 2006 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are right, the pattern adds to the pleasure.

Mans 1st January 2006 04:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys.
I try to join...
This is Lar Gangsir pamor pattern of the old Javanese keris form Mataram period.

nechesh 1st January 2006 05:47 PM

Now that IS sweet, Mans! :)

simatua 2nd January 2006 12:05 PM

Very nice indeed mans,
I only have my doubt about the aging; looks more recent work to me
nevertheless beautifull

nechesh 2nd January 2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simatua
Very nice indeed mans,
nevertheless beautifull

I have similar questions Martin, but the pamor work itself is beautiful. :)

Mans 2nd January 2006 06:24 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Very nice indeed mans,
nevertheless beautifull

Thanks guys.
Here the link of this keris (http://keris.fotopic.net/c811024.html)
If we look overall of this keris, we will know the kind of the iron, Pasikutan (characteristic and style of the shape) and the pamorwork. Then, we can estimated when (period) this keris made. (hard for me to explain in English :o :( but I'll try)

1st, the pamor not just patched like the sticker, but made by forging. Different with the vertical pamor on the common new keris which made by patched and blazed, then forged just for a moment. Also the pamor usually has more than just one color. It came because of the forging process and the materials which used. (Ex.: 1st pic is an old pamor, pic# 2nd & 3rd is a new made.
It same with the pattern on the swords which demostrated at the begining. I'm sure that all of those nice iron swords are old made by forging process from more than one iron types.

2nd, the iron has the smooth fibrous. Shown that this keris made by forging process. Different with the the iron on common new keris which has no fibrous (although some new keris still use iron forging -- not just at pamor).
The new keris shown that the iron just smooth, or some of pieces has smooth and very little spots because processed by chemical. Often, many the old keris has the spots at the iron because not well taken care or chemistry process and warangan... but, we still can distiguishing from Pasikutan and style of pamorwork to make it more sure.
(Ex. : pics # 4th & 5th is a new iron, pic# 6th is an old iron).

At Jawa it self, very difficult to get the vertical pamor on the old keris which still intact and very smooth. If we got it, usually came from Mataram Sultan Agung (1600's) until Mataram Surokarto (1700's - 1800's), or from old Madura keris (Mataram era).

Well... I hope my explanations didn't make you more confused and dizzy because of my English :D

nechesh 3rd January 2006 01:51 AM

Mans, i don't think anyone is suggesting that this is a "common new keris". ;)

rasdan 3rd January 2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Curious whats goes around in our small country?
try www.veilingkijker.nl ( standing )

Thanks for the info Simatua. I normally use http://www.advertentiezoeker.nl/
It seems that veilingkijker is better. Lots of kerises. :)