Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   unusual small little moro kris for id please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25194)

mross 12th August 2019 04:27 PM

Just to point out. In the Philippines they only used fruit to bring out the pattern in the steel. That is all that should be required to show a pattern. I'll further put my foot in it by saying anything other than the traditional method may produce results but they are not quite "right"

kai 12th August 2019 05:40 PM

Well, the apparently most widespread procedure seems to have been utilizing coconut water, i.e. vinegar, for cleaning and simultaneous etching. (Just to emphasize in case you subsumed it under fruits...)

However, considering period accounts and early pics with “black” blades, I’m willing to bet that warangan was known and utilized, even if of limited availability due to financial constraints and/or access to skilled artisans (with expected variability based on period, area, and possibly status).

There are enough pattern-welded Moro kris (including but not limited to twistcore) that IMVHO just scream for any enhanced contrast from advanced etching methods.

These maritime societies knew each other well and traded for centuries if not millennias!

Regards,
Kai

kai 12th August 2019 05:47 PM

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your input!

In my experience steel perceived as unlaminated in antique blades usually proves to be quality steel extensively “washed” and essentially homogenized by multiple folding upon itself - as you know, this needs a very fine polish as well as a gentle etch to make these non-contrasting layers visible, possibly under magnification.

Regards,
Kai

chiefheadknocker 12th August 2019 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian
Hi chief:

I would go with what you feel comfortable with.

Just to back up what Jose said about the absence of twist core on one of his archaic kris, attached is a picture of mine that was exhibited in the History of Steel Exhibition, Macao in 2006-2007 and it also has no twist core down the middle. Twist core may have been reserved for higher end pieces.

Regard,

Ian

P.S. Dimensions of my kris are very similar to yours:
OAL = 55.7 cm
Blade = 43.5 cm
Hilt = 12.2 cm

Thanks for uploading the pic of your similar sword , i have cleaned mine a little more and etched a few times with vinegar ,as the outcome was a little patchy i then used a soft wire wool to give the blade a more even look , ive added a picture of the outcome which i think is ok even though one side is pitted more than the other

Battara 21st August 2019 06:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Hello Jose,

Could you please show us the kris you mentioned? I don’t think we have discussed it yet? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Kai

Sorry it took so long, but here are the pictures of the kris I was mentioning. If you need better pictures please let me know. The hilt is a restoration of a hilt in horrible condition and the pommel had been remounted several times in the past. Even the asang-asang clamp had been replaced several times. However the sea ivory pommel is original.

Notice that the blade does not even appear laminated, much less a twist core. I believe this kris is from Tawi-Tawi.