Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Moro Kris on eBay (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133)

Spunjer 3rd January 2005 03:35 PM

Moro Kris on eBay

this auction ended last week. my question is, what is so special about this certain kris that it fetched $700.00+? :eek: :eek: :eek:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

BluErf 3rd January 2005 03:57 PM

Actually, it went cheaper than I thought it would fetch. :p Its a great piece (not the greatest, but good enough).

As to why it is a great piece, compare this piece with most other pieces and you should be able to tell that the wood, carvings on this piece is superior. The execution of the keris blade is also more refined than average. The metal is great, with some minor spots of surface rust. And look at the crispness of the fullers, greneng, kembang kacang. Look around, and you should see the difference it in time.

nechesh 3rd January 2005 10:33 PM

I agree. This is a nice kris and i'm afraid these are the prices this quality is going for these days. The ricikan of this kris are nicely formed. The sheath is unusual and nicely carved and what's more it appears to have some age to it, not a modern replacement. But the winner, CharlesS, is a sometimes poster on these forums, so maybe he will add his own thoughts here.

Spunjer 3rd January 2005 11:13 PM

so is this particular kris really an indonesian keris then? is that why it's rare?

Battara 3rd January 2005 11:24 PM

I hate to say it, Spunger, but this Moro piece has the talismanic markings on the blade and that is why it has fetched the price it did (along with the quality of blade, scabbard carving, etc.) Prices for nicer or unusual pieces fetch nutty prices compared to just 5 years ago.

nechesh 3rd January 2005 11:37 PM

I agree with Jose. The talismanic markings on the blade (the four circles) certainly contributed to the price here and i wouldn't argue that it shouldn't. It would definitely make the blade more desirable to ME.
And this is a Moro kris all the way Ron.

Spunjer 3rd January 2005 11:41 PM

in regards to the talismanic symbol, that was my first guess why the price was high. of course, the intricate scabbard, etc. but then there was a kris about a month ago that has more intricate talismanic symbols, but that only went up to half of what this one went for (granted it didn't have any taggub), but jeez, this much???

Rick 4th January 2005 12:48 AM

The blade is beautifully executed , the fuller is exquisite , and I'll bet that the dress and tagub are original to the blade .
Mid 19th cent. ?

Andrew 4th January 2005 02:30 AM

The auction winner is a member here. Perhaps he'll share some thoughts with us when he receives it? :D

BluErf 4th January 2005 01:47 PM

Yes, pictures! pictures! :)

Federico 4th January 2005 09:40 PM

I dunno, I dont think too hard about price trends these days. Ive seen too much wierdness in the past few years to try to make rhyme or reason. Somedays ivory pieces go low, whereas plain examplar pieces go high. When it comes down to it, price is determined by the collector, and perhaps this is just the piece to fit a hole in a collection. I know Ive spent more on pieces that fit into the collection as a whole, rather than on its individual merit.

While a very nice kris, it has a broken cockatua, dented clamps, and is missing a butt piece on the tagub, which for me would take it out of that price range. The blade is nice, with a very interesting fuller, but I do not like the talisman markings, they are shallow and there is something about them that strikes me as funny. But then, Im not the one who bought it. I am also concerned that the scabbard is not original, the proportion in size is just a little on the largish size. But then Im nit-picking here.

As for mid 19th century, while there is no real system for placing these at specific dates, and we've had our share of arguments, there is something about this piece that to me hits me as a late 19th century piece, probably the crispness of the features that everyone has noted as being unique. For an older piece, I would expect more wear from use/care. Of course, I suppose this piece was collected by a Westerner newly made, but then... Anyways, that is just my .0002 cents.

Spunjer 5th January 2005 01:17 AM

fred,

well, i'm hoping this is an exception rather than the rule. i think you hit it on the head when you said:
Quote:

When it comes down to it, price is determined by the collector, and perhaps this is just the piece to fit a hole in a collection.
yoohoo, CharlesS, where are you?

CharlesS 6th January 2005 03:26 PM

Here's why I bought it........

Sorry guys...been in NY for a while.

So, why did I buy this Moro kriss?? Yes, the talismanic sybols were interesting, but for me it was all about one simple word: 'quality'.

With the exception of the top portion of the cockatoo hilt missing, it is of superb quality throughout. The blade is outstanding and of a more unique form. The scabbard is one of the most intricate ones I have seen, and clearly not for the "average Joe Moro".

....so it's all about quality, quality, quality.....at least for me

Spunjer 6th January 2005 04:12 PM

thanks for responding, CharlesS. i guess that answered my original enquiry.

ibeam 6th January 2005 07:09 PM

Hello CharlesS,
Very nice high quality Moro kris. Have you received the kris yet?? I could not tell from the pictures but does the deep wide fullers have any patterns?? Twisted core?? Please share some pics when you get a chance. CONGRATS. :D

ronpakis 6th January 2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nechesh
I agree with Jose. The talismanic markings on the blade (the four circles) certainly contributed to the price here and i wouldn't argue that it shouldn't. It would definitely make the blade more desirable to ME.
And this is a Moro kris all the way Ron.

What have i done?? :D

I would have bought it for this money (however it stays a little gamble only by picture, like to have it in hands) i must agree with blu about the price. I haven't followed this but i just saw it and expected it to end higher. most moro on ebay is rubbish, nice to see an original and high quality example. congratulations to the winner. very nice start of the new collecting year.

nechesh 6th January 2005 09:48 PM

Hi Ronpakis. Incase you didn't know, Spunjer's first name is Ron. :)
As for what YOU have done, well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we. ;)

kino 6th January 2005 10:24 PM

I have to agree with a lot of you, it is a beauty to behold. Killer blade, with a scabbard to boot.

But......... what talismanic markings???????? :confused:
I just see the AUDI emblem :D

LabanTayo 6th January 2005 10:48 PM

thats why audi's are so safe, they have anting-anting. :):):):):)

Battara 7th January 2005 01:38 AM

OOO....Good answer Labantayo. :D

ronpakis 7th January 2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nechesh
Hi Ronpakis. Incase you didn't know, Spunjer's first name is Ron. :)
As for what YOU have done, well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we. ;)

Whoops, hahaha, my mistake don't know any first names of any of the forum memebers.