Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A funny story from Timonium (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4303)

Lew 21st March 2007 08:38 PM

A funny story from Timonium

While walking through the isles at Timonium I spotted a cute little dagger with a 5-6 inch blade. It was a simple yet elegant knife. I asked the seller to see it and he happily removed it from the glass case on his table. It had a tiny price sticker on it which I thought read $380 it turned out I was a bit off it was really $3800 :eek:. I asked the seller if he could give me some back ground on this little gem he had such as age or country of origin? His reply was "It's just a real nice dagger that's all I know" It really amazes me that are so many dealers out there who just haven't got a clue :shrug:

Lew

spiral 21st March 2007 08:42 PM

Least he was honest, some will just tell you a story. ;)

Spiral

Mark 22nd March 2007 03:43 PM

$3800 for a "really nice dagger?" :eek: I do sometimes question the sanity of some of the sellers at Timonium (I guess the same standard would apply to other shows). There often seems to be a complete unhinging from reality.

On the other hand, maybe the guy just didn't want to sell it for some reason. :shrug:

Ferguson 22nd March 2007 04:19 PM

But it was a really nice dagger. :)

You should have seen Lew's face when the guy said that. It was priceless! :D

Steve

Lew 22nd March 2007 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferguson
But it was a really nice dagger. :)

You should have seen Lew's face when the guy said that. It was priceless! :D

Steve

Yes it looked something like this ;)

Lew

Battara 23rd March 2007 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark
I do sometimes question the sanity of some of the sellers at Timonium (I guess the same standard would apply to other shows). There often seems to be a complete unhinging from reality.

Yup! I have seen dealers swear that their pieces comand that price and then swear at me when I show them that what they have is not what they think.:rolleyes:

FenrisWolf 24th March 2007 07:04 PM

Sounds like a candidate for an unofficial 'P.T.Barnum' award, given to merchants who espouse the great man's trueism: "There's a sucker born every minute!" :D

Andrew 24th March 2007 07:38 PM

This is a common occurance at gun/arms shows in my experience.

There will be the occasional ethno weapon mixed in with a wide selection of militaria and such, but offered at an outrageous price because the seller is unfamiliar with it. Needless to say, I don't usually attempt to negotiate with, let alone educate, most of these sellers, as they are easily offended. :shrug: