Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SHAMSHIR ON EBAY (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2808)

Valjhun 21st July 2006 07:02 PM

SHAMSHIR ON EBAY

just ended.

What do you think?

RSWORD 21st July 2006 07:20 PM

An attractive sword and , in my opinion, acquired at a very good price.

Valjhun 24th July 2006 11:27 AM

Come on boys!

What do you think about it? Thoose long quilons, that pending feature on the pommel.

Well, my idea is (if it is not a newly rehilted persian blade) that it is afghan in origin. The ivory and the guard looks new to me.

What do you think?

Rick 24th July 2006 03:36 PM

I think it's a good looking sword that has not been misrepresented in any way :

" Overall length 37 inches, it has a Mameluke style hilt, with a steel pommel and cross-guard and horn grips, the curved blade is 31 inches long, and has a Wootz forged blade, with its tooled leather covered wood scabbard with steel mounts. "

As Rick says ; it sold for an attractive price .

Tim Simmons 24th July 2006 05:35 PM

You can call me mean if you like. I think this was quite expensive for such plain work, with non noble metals. It is not as if wootz is rare.

Yannis 24th July 2006 05:38 PM

I had seen it but I was waiting to realize at least the double price. I think that the same thought passed from other minds too. Sometimes ebay is a very strange place.

Yannis 24th July 2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
You can call me mean if you like. I think this was quite expensive for such plain work, with non noble metals. It is not as if wootz is rare.

With this price you buy not even new damascus blade of this size

Valjhun 24th July 2006 06:24 PM

Yes, strange place, if the seller would list it as shamshir rather that shamshire it would sell for twice that value. :)

Is it afghan or not?

RSWORD 25th July 2006 02:20 AM

This piece is almost pure Persian in appearance and I see nothing in it to denote Afghan. The tooled leather scabbard, the mounts, the slim grips, the wide crossguard, the pommel cap are all in the style common to Persian swords. The lanyard loop at the side of the pommel cap is a bit unusual but that is the only anomoly on this example. While it is a plain example, from my experience, you just don't run across many Persian shamshir, with scabbard, and wootz blade, for such a good price.

Valjhun 25th July 2006 05:05 PM

Hi,

That pommel cap is verry similar to khyber and choora randomly encountered pommel caps. The very wide crossguard is also uncommon on typical persian examples.

ALEX 13th August 2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yannis
I had seen it but I was waiting to realize at least the double price. I think that the same thought passed from other minds too. Sometimes ebay is a very strange place.

Yes, it did passed other minds, Yannis. It is a plain shamshir indeed, and even with restored hilt, low wootz pattern, etc - it is pretty good deal for someone who liked it and wanted to own it.