Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Figural ! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16214)

Rick 12th October 2012 03:32 AM

Figural !
 
1 Attachment(s)
Post them up ! :)

Jean 12th October 2012 08:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Three silver hilts from Bali (Bayu, Hanuman, Nawasari).
Regards
PS: Is there a way to reduce the size on the screen?

David 12th October 2012 03:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jean. I love these silver Bali hilts.
Here are my meager offerings, some old, some contemporary, from Jawa, Bali and Madura.

Jean 12th October 2012 05:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you David, I love especially your ivory piece with the bird head.
Attached are 3 rather small and peculiar ivory hilts said to originate from the Balinese community in Sumbawa but I can't guarantee it, any opinion?
Regards

David 12th October 2012 06:00 PM

Thanks Jean, though i'm pretty sure that's bone, probably from the latter side of the 20th Century. I found another quite similar one on the net that claimed itself as 1950s Madura, but who knows. Never quite been sure exactly where this one hails from, though it came on an old Jawa blade. :shrug:

Jean 12th October 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks Jean, though i'm pretty sure that's bone, probably from the latter side of the 20th Century. I found another quite similar one on the net that claimed itself as 1950s Madura, but who knows. Never quite been sure exactly where this one hails from, though it came on an old Jawa blade. :shrug:


David, I don't think that they are made from buffalo or whale bone or even antler although one was repaired at the peksi hole, but rather from dugong tusk? There is no cap on the top, no porous surface or pits inside or outside, and no sign of discolouring with time. I agree that they are probably about 20-30 years old only, and the piece depicting a priest was dyed. I rather doubt about the Madurese origin or they would be more common in Java; these pieces were purchased in Lombok (not by myself) from a reputed dealer.
Regards

David 12th October 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
David, I don't think that they are made from buffalo or whale bone or even antler although one was repaired at the peksi hole, but rather from dugong tusk? There is no cap on the top, no porous surface or pits inside or outside, and no sign of discolouring with time. I agree that they are probably about 20-30 years old only, and the piece depicting a priest was dyed. I rather doubt about the Madurese origin or they would be more common in Java; these pieces were purchased in Lombok (not by myself) from a reputed dealer.
Regards

Jean, i was not referring to your hilts at all, but to the comment you made about my "ivory bird head" piece. This one does have a top cap and is probably bone. :)

Battara 13th October 2012 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is my one and only ivory and gold Balinese hilt of Ravana.........

Jean 13th October 2012 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jean, i was not referring to your hilts at all, but to the comment you made about my "ivory bird head" piece. This one does have a top cap and is probably bone. :)


David, sorry for the confusion! :D
And I finally show you a peculiar ivory hilt deemed to originate from South Sumatra.
Regards

Sajen 13th October 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Ok here is my one and only ivory and gold Balinese hilt of Ravana.........


Beautiful hilt! :eek:

Sajen 13th October 2012 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a small Bali hilt from areng wood showing Membrayut.

Sajen 13th October 2012 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here a old Bali hilt from Brass set with stones.

Someone know who it is?

asomotif 13th October 2012 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.

David 13th October 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
.

That's a nice hilt Willem, but it is not really "figural"... :)

asomotif 13th October 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
That's a nice hilt Willem, but it is not really "figural"... :)

Sorry, David.
The first 2 pictures of post nr. 3 probably got me confused ;)

David 14th October 2012 01:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Sorry, David.
The first 2 pictures of post nr. 3 probably got me confused ;)

I can see why they may have confused you, but while those two hilt are somewhat vegetal they both have rather clear figural faces. The second one you refer to is most definitely a buta (rakasa) hilt. It is rather old and worn, so perhaps you need to see the other angles to tell that it is truly a figural hilt form. Take a look at the images below... :shrug:

dbhmgb 14th October 2012 03:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is my collection of one. Forgive the picture quality I took them just now on my iPhone.

drdavid 15th October 2012 05:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rakasa in bone

A. G. Maisey 15th October 2012 07:05 AM

8 Attachment(s)
OK.

Beautiful, beautiful.

But beautiful is easy to do.

Now I'm gonna make you all really envious.

Who has anything as ugly as these?

Marcokeris 15th October 2012 07:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two pics of my collection

David 15th October 2012 02:05 PM

Marco, we are doing "figural" hilts...i see a few in amongst you collection shots, but not very clearly. Maybe you could do a group shot of just the figural ones to give us a better look. :)

David 15th October 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
OK.

Beautiful, beautiful.

But beautiful is easy to do.

Now I'm gonna make you all really envious.

Who has anything as ugly as these?

Well Alan, the only ones i find REALLY ugly are the fimo ones. :)

Rick 15th October 2012 02:30 PM

I seem to remember those little beauties .
They are glass; no ?

David 15th October 2012 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I seem to remember those little beauties .
They are glass; no ?

Are they? Glass or fimo, they are still pretty ugly... :)
I do kinda like that second squatting wood one with the E.T. eyes though. Don't find that one ugly at all Alan...

Sajen 15th October 2012 04:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Three more.

sirek 15th October 2012 07:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
@

A. G. Maisey 15th October 2012 08:30 PM

Yeah, they're glass.

Modern made in a little town near Pare in East Jawa --- I forget the name of it, its peculiar sort of name --- but the technique is an old, legitimate technique. The beads made in the same way go back to before Majapahit, often used as burial goods, and the genuine Majapahit pelangi beads, some of which are quite big, are pretty valuable.

I'm sorry I didn't come up your standard of ugliness David, I did try. I'll have a look and see if I might have something uglier, but I don't think I do.

Yeah, the ET one is peculiar, I can't ID what it is supposed to be or where its from, and it really does look ETish

Gustav 15th October 2012 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yeah, they're glass.


Here is the original thread about them:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...&highlight=dewi

A. G. Maisey 18th November 2012 09:25 PM

9 Attachment(s)
his thread seems to have gone very quiet, which I find strange, because I'm sure there are a lot more figural hilts out there than we have already seen posted.

Here are a few more, hopefully somebody else might add a few more.

Battara 19th November 2012 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Ok here is my one and only ivory and gold Balinese hilt of Ravana.........

Sorry for not responding - thank you.

Also I did the gold mounts myself (hope they are not too aweful.... :o )


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.