Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Where is this sword/picture from? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18930)

AHorsa 14th August 2014 09:29 PM

Where is this sword/picture from?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

does anybody knows from which publication this picture is from or what the provenance of the shown sword is? Would be very nice!

Best regards,
Andi

Fernando K 15th August 2014 05:10 PM

Hi there:

The sheet says CAROLUS REX (King Charles) and shield says ME FECIT SOLINGEN. It should be a closer picture, to finish decipher. Same for what is written in italics.

Fernando K

AHorsa 15th August 2014 05:35 PM

Thanks for the answer Fernando. I shlould have clearified before: I mean the middle one. I don´t think that the shown blades on the left and the right belong to that sword.

Best,
Andi

AHorsa 15th August 2014 05:38 PM

I have to correct myself. The left blade I don´t think belongs to the sword (diefferent shape). The right one seems to be fitting.

Best,
Andi

AHorsa 19th August 2014 03:18 PM

Or maybe someone knows which King Charles is meant according the crest?

Would be very helpful.

Best regards,
Andreas

Andreas 20th August 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHorsa
Or maybe someone knows which King Charles is meant according the crest?

Would be very helpful.

Best regards,
Andreas

Hi namesake :) ,
I can’t make out the field, but judging from the supporters (two lions regardant), it’s possibly the Swedish coat of arms. If that is the case, I suppose Carolus Rex could be any of the Charles’ (X, XI, XII) that reigned from 1654 to 1718, unless this type of sword fits in the period of the reign of Charles IX (1604-1611)
Andreas

E.B. Erickson 22nd August 2014 11:49 AM

The photo is from the book "European Swords and Daggers in the Tower of London", HMSO 1974, plate 40. Following find the description:

"German broadsword of the mid seventeenth century. The steel hilt is chiselled with animal forms. The blade is etched and gilt with trophies and a cartouche showing a figure above the words CAROLUS REX. The blade has the initials and mark of Peter Munsten of Solingen.

Hope this helps a bit! --ElJay

fernando 22nd August 2014 11:55 AM

Fantastic, ElJay :cool:

Jim McDougall 22nd August 2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B. Erickson
The photo is from the book "European Swords and Daggers in the Tower of London", HMSO 1974, plate 40. Following find the description:

"German broadsword of the mid seventeenth century. The steel hilt is chiselled with animal forms. The blade is etched and gilt with trophies and a cartouche showing a figure above the words CAROLUS REX. The blade has the initials and mark of Peter Munsten of Solingen.

Hope this helps a bit! --ElJay

Brilliant Eljay!!!! You never lose your touch!!!! I forgot that reference altogether.

AHorsa 23rd August 2014 06:31 PM

Great, thank you very much!!

Best
Andi