Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Opinion requested about a keris blade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14424)

Sajen 23rd October 2011 05:36 PM

Opinion requested about a keris blade

3 Attachment(s)
Dear members,

may I ask you what you think about this keris blade? Do you think that it is a modified blade or original like this?
Excuse the quality of the pictures, I will take better ones soon but I think all what you need to see is to seen.

Thank you in advance,

Detlef

Rick 23rd October 2011 06:03 PM

That is one hell of a modification if it is, Detlef . ;)

It looks like it was made that way to me .

Since you presumably have it in hand; does it look modified to you ?

Rick

Sajen 23rd October 2011 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Rick,

thank you for fast respond.
I am very unsure, it is obviously an old blade with an old gonjo repair and an old worn pesi. I have taken some close ups now where you can see (I hope) why I am a little bit distrustful. Look at the first and fourth picture! And I never have seen before a blade with such a shape/dhapur. I have learned here and by years of collecting to be suspicious. ;)

Regards,

Detlef

Battara 23rd October 2011 07:06 PM

Looks like it was made this way originally to me too. One heck of an odd piece. Recent manufacture? :confused:

Sajen 23rd October 2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Looks like it was made this way originally to me too. One heck of an odd piece. Recent manufacture? :confused:

Hello Jose,

also to you thank you for comment. I don't think that the blade is recent, but who know?! ;)
Let us see what others say about this blade, like I am said before: I am suspicious. :confused:

Regards,

Detlef

David 23rd October 2011 10:36 PM

Well, it looks like a variation on a dhapur i have seen called Kebo Giri, though all the ones i have seen, including the one i own myself, are stictlly a lurus dhapur. I have never seen one become a luk blade above the sekar kacang.
All of this form of Kebo blade are exaggerated and have the sekar kacang way up high on the blade.

David 23rd October 2011 10:39 PM

Here is an old thread that discusses this blade form.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=73978

Sajen 23rd October 2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Well, it looks like a variation on a dhapur i have seen called Kebo Giri, though all the ones i have seen, including the one i own myself, are stictlly a lurus dhapur. I have never seen one become a luk blade above the sekar kacang.
All of this form of Kebo blade are exaggerated and have the sekar kacang way up high on the blade.

Hi David,

I am as well never have seen a Kebo blade where up from the sekar kacang luk added. But your hint that the sekar kacang is every time way up high on the blade would mean that the denting seen by my first and fourth picture mean nothing and be caused by forging!? :shrug:

Regards,

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 29th October 2011 04:54 AM

Today is the first time I have been able to see this blade.

In my opinion it is original, unaltered, and not recent.

Sajen 29th October 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Today is the first time I have been able to see this blade.

In my opinion it is original, unaltered, and not recent.

Thank you Alan. :) Do you have seen before a blade with this shape/"dhapur"?
Is there a name for this dhapur form or is it unique?

Thank you and regards,

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 29th October 2011 01:03 PM

Yes, I have seen the same or similar. I don't know if I still have it, or if I've released it from captivity. Off the top of my head I cannot name the dhapur, I'd need to look it up.

Sajen 29th October 2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have seen the same or similar. I don't know if I still have it, or if I've released it from captivity. Off the top of my head I cannot name the dhapur, I'd need to look it up.

Thank you for fast respond. I byself have searched my in sources but don't find something. When you like and find the time it would be nice when you will do.

Regards,

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 29th October 2011 02:08 PM

Kebo giri luk lima.

Ensiklopedi P. 225

shown here is kebo giri lurus, in these forms, you simply use the lurus name and add the number of luk.

Sajen 29th October 2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Kebo giri luk lima.

Ensiklopedi P. 225

shown here is kebo giri lurus, in these forms, you simply use the lurus name and add the number of luk.

Thank you very much Alan. Kebo giri lurus I know and have seen/handled but don't know that you can use the dhapur name as well for blades with luk! :)

Thank's again,

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 29th October 2011 09:04 PM

Yes, you can.Any of the dhapurs of straight keris that get their name from an unusual bottom part of the blade, retain that name and if they have luk, you just give the number of luk. So, if you had a sepang that had five luk, it would be sepang luk lima; karnotinading with three luk would be karnotinanding luk tiga --- and so on.