Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Early wootz yataghan (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20491)

eftihis 17th September 2015 08:28 AM

Early wootz yataghan

4 Attachment(s)
Hi i just wanted to share the photos of this early high quality yataghan that has a wootz blade and a decoration similar to the one we find in high quality pala swords. The handle is walrus ivory covered with silver. I have never seen this type of combination handle before, and also i dont recall any other yataghan with this type of "pala type" gold decoration!

Kubur 17th September 2015 11:22 AM

wooooawww amazing!!!
Can I ask you close details of the handle and the scabbard shapes?
The blade looks Turkish, but I would like to see some close up, because I "feel" some Algerian stuff...
Or is it possible that is a Greek yataghan? It will be nice to see the motives on the scabbard...
Best,
Kubur

estcrh 17th September 2015 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Beautiful yatagan, the hilt is quite distinctive, here is a similar one that is described as being Greek.

TVV 17th September 2015 06:09 PM

Unique and beautiful yataghan Eftihis, thank you for sharing it. To me it looks like the silver decoration on the hilt was not original but was applied at some later point (still long time ago of course). There was a practice of decorating favorite weapons with silver.

Regards,
Teodor

Ian 17th September 2015 08:57 PM

Estrch:

That looks like the same sword as eftihis is showing.

Ian

Quote:

Originally Posted by estcrh
Beautiful yatagan, the hilt is quite distinctive, here is a similar one that is described as being Greek.

Kubur 17th September 2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian
Estrch:

That looks like the same sword as eftihis is showing.

Ian

I think he was saying the last photo at the bottom end.

I don't think they added the silver long time after.
It will be interesting to compare the handle with the scabbard...

Kubur

estcrh 17th September 2015 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
To me it looks like the silver decoration on the hilt was not original but was applied at some later point (still long time ago of course). There was a practice of decorating favorite weapons with silver.

Regards,
Teodor

If you look at how the silver overlay (red arrows) sits on top of what looks like a much older iron with gold (orange arrow) you could be right.

eftihis 18th September 2015 07:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The yataghan belongs to a friend, so these are the only other photos i have.
Regarding the silver covered handle, a possibility is that at some point the walrus ivory cracked and was cut in two pieces, so maybe the silver strip on top of it keeps everything firmly in place.

Sylektis 22nd September 2015 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Eftihis, here is a yataghan with similar blade. I agreed with you for the repair of the handle. I believe that this was done in the Balkans later, late 18th century, early 19th.