Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Swap Forum (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Old Malay Ivory Hilt Hulu Bayan (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=459)

mykeris 15th March 2005 08:38 AM

Old Malay Ivory Hilt Hulu Bayan

An old ivory hilt of Bayan motif. I was told, Bayan is name of Malay ancient bird. This hilt is considered very rare, intricate carving and normally incorporated in royal malay kerises especially Malay states of Perlis and Kelantan. Very hard to find one. Interested, pls email me.

oh sorry, tried many times to post photos but failled. I think, something wrong with my computer.

Mans 15th March 2005 09:46 AM

Hi My Keris,

Would you please send me some photos of your ivory hilt and the price.
Did you remember my email address ?

Regards,
Mans.

Alam Shah 15th March 2005 01:42 PM

I'm interested too. Please PM me the price and photos. ;)

DAHenkel 15th March 2005 02:49 PM

Regardless of who agrees to purchase I hope someone will post pictures so we can see this. I've been up to Kelantan more times than I can remember and never heard of a Bayan hilt.

mykeris 15th March 2005 03:22 PM

Hi guys. I will get my software replaced and will post some pictures. TQ

Alam Shah 15th March 2005 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAHenkel
Regardless of who agrees to purchase I hope someone will post pictures so we can see this. I've been up to Kelantan more times than I can remember and never heard of a Bayan hilt.

Gee, come to think of it, neither have I? :confused: Well, let see how it looks like.;)

mykeris 16th March 2005 05:26 AM

Photos

4 Attachment(s)
Here it goes!

DAHenkel 16th March 2005 01:14 PM

That's a hulu kakatua or hulu burung serindik. The signature hilt of Tengku Ibrahim Tengku Wook. I will not comment on this particular hilt though since this is an item that is up for sale. There are examples in the Spirit of Wood book.

mykeris 16th March 2005 02:18 PM

Thanks dahenkel. Let me correct the spelling of Serindik so that it will not pollute the correct pronunciation of it....it is SERINDIT. Since you came up with two names either burung kakak tua or serindit (Unsure) :) ....it could have another name, Burung Bayan or could Bayan is also a Serindit? I am very familiar with Serindit and Kakak tua. I have never seen a Bayan myself but have heard and read it in my old school books. Unlike Jawa Demam or Kerdas hilts, this motif is scarce and difficult to make. TQ for your info.

mykeris 17th March 2005 05:55 PM

Booked

Dear hilt goers,

The hilt posted to this forum has already being booked and considered sold. My thanks to all emaillers. TQ

DAHenkel 18th March 2005 03:04 PM

Thanks for correcting my misperception of the spelling of serindit. To be perfectly honest, I've never seen it written before, only spoken and as you are probably aware the Kelantanese pronunciation of the word is se-rin-di' so in fact, its rather difficult to tell if that's a 't' or a 'k' at the end.