Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris acquired in Makassar (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21402)

Ken B 9th May 2016 12:56 PM

Keris acquired in Makassar

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All:

I acquired this Keris in Makassar recently. Would like descriptive commentary.

Allegedly from the 1600's. Bugis Kris : Raja Mandar - Ammana Wewang.

Has Arabic and Old Buginese language inscriptions, Does anyone know where to get Old Buginese language looked at/or translated.

Ken

David 9th May 2016 07:30 PM

Welcome to the forum Ken. What are the dress materials? Looks like copper and brass. Would that be correct? And sign of gold plating? Have you had the metals tested?
Bugis keris are not my strong point, but i would say the 1600s date you were given is quite optimistic. Without a better look (better photos would be helpful) i would feel more comfortable with placing the blade somewhere in the 19th century, perhaps a little earlier. The dress may be later though.
If you present close-ups of the writing someone here might well be able to translate it. Most probably they are verses from the Quran.

Battara 10th May 2016 05:01 AM

I have to agree with David. The dress (and pants :D ) look much later and not of the same quality that I have seen of older work. The blade also makes me think it is late 19th century at the earliest, though I could be wrong.

Ken B 10th May 2016 01:07 PM

Hi Thanks for the replies..

I will have the metals tested and report back.

Ken

Sajen 10th May 2016 05:31 PM

Hello Ken,

welcome! I really want to see better pictures before I would like to give a comment, all what I can say that it isn't new.

Regards,
Detlef

David 10th May 2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B
Hi Thanks for the replies..

I will have the metals tested and report back.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Keep in mind that making assessments of keris based solely upon photos is always trick. However, some sharp close-ups in better light would be helpful. Try to photograph the blade without flash on a bright, but overcast day. That should give you some better results.

Battara 12th May 2016 12:17 AM

A good point David. Hard to tell for sure with these pictures.

kerisbiz 11th August 2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B
Hi All:

I acquired this Keris in Makassar recently. Would like descriptive commentary.

Allegedly from the 1600's. Bugis Kris : Raja Mandar - Ammana Wewang.

Has Arabic and Old Buginese language inscriptions, Does anyone know where to get Old Buginese language looked at/or translated.

Ken

Yes i see this keris from Makassar, because the model luk is Bugis model, and i see SEPPU (hamon) in 'baja' or SEPPU on the sharp side. This is special keris and very rare because it has a bloodline, there is rarely a keris Bugis like this. Usually found on keris used in warfare by freedom fighters and the army earlier times.

Rick 13th August 2016 10:36 PM

K-biz, Hi.
If you want to post your pictures in this forum you must upload the images to this site.