Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone can tell me how old are these ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20348)

maxbliss888 8th August 2015 04:52 PM

Anyone can tell me how old are these ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! Can anyone please help to identify the age of these ? Are these antiques ?Thanks

maxbliss888 8th August 2015 04:54 PM

How old ?

4 Attachment(s)
How old ? Thanks

maxbliss888 8th August 2015 05:20 PM

Daggers

2 Attachment(s)
More photos

BANDOOK 9th August 2015 11:38 AM

HI THESE ARE KURDISH DAGGERS FROM NORTHERN IRAQ,BUT DIFFICULT TO SAY AGE,SOME OTHER EXPERTS HERE WILL TELL YOU THAT,CHEERS

Henk 9th August 2015 05:09 PM

Yep, Kurdish and in my opinion antique. Nice find.

stelio 9th August 2015 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It could be and Albanian hanjar(jambiya)(photos) but the issue is their age .
I thought the bones to handle dichnei Which new as construction , perhaps to fool the eye from the photos .
Stelios

Kubur 9th August 2015 06:17 PM

To me the last one with walrus ivory is Albanian.
The others are so-called Kurdish.
So-called Kurdish because I suspect some of them to be Turkish.
And this is a sensitive subject...
They are all from the 19th c.
But I was thinking that we cannot discuss objects for sale...

Kubur
:cool:

Rick 9th August 2015 07:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing myself, Kubur .

Of course one could always ask for a Private Message to gather such information . :)

maxbliss888 12th August 2015 02:19 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the information and feedback

maxbliss888 29th August 2015 11:27 AM

Dagger

2 Attachment(s)
More photos to share

maxbliss888 29th August 2015 11:31 AM

Dagger

3 Attachment(s)
More photos

estcrh 29th August 2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur

He was just asking about age, not value, we should be able to at least help someone who may not be extremely knowledgable on the subject from making a costly mistake.

I say they are at least from the early 1900s to 1800s so that would make them antiques, just my personal opinion.

maxbliss888 29th August 2015 06:23 PM

Dagger

Thanks very much!

kahnjar1 29th August 2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
To me the last one with walrus ivory is Albanian.
The others are so-called Kurdish.
So-called Kurdish because I suspect some of them to be Turkish.
And this is a sensitive subject...
They are all from the 19th c.

Kubur
:cool:

Lovely daggers and not modern IMHO. I see no reference anywhere requesting value, or that these are for sale. I see the owners display cabinet with lots of other interesting things in it! The daggers are simply sitting on top for photo purposes.
Stu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 29th August 2015 09:32 PM

Salaams All...

You could narrow that down and say late 19th to early 20th Century...in a bracket of say 30 years but unless you know the makers stamp...and that is not a reliable guide... Look at Assad Ullah Swords ! It is also quite difficult to tell... since an item worn on the belt would age and develop patina much faster than an item stored inside a building... :shrug: I think the addage "old enough" would suffice. :shrug:
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ian 30th August 2015 02:28 AM

Careful please--close to the line ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by estcrh
He was just asking about age, not value, we should be able to at least help someone who may not be extremely knowledgable on the subject from making a costly mistake. ...

Gents:

The following comments pertain to Forum Policy and are provided for information only and as a reminder of what is trying to be achieved. Forum Policy is not open to discussion or debate--any such posts will be deleted.

This thread and its request for information about the age of these jambiya is close to the line of interfering with a potential sale. The Moderators have been discussing similar cases that have arisen recently, and have been watching this thread closely to see whether a line is crossed.

Present Forum Policy seeks to avoid discussion of items that are being considered for purchase (whether online or privately). The concern is that opinions expressed publicly here should not jeopardize a seller's potential sale. Any such interference might be a cause for legal action against the owner of the site (Dr. Lee Jones) or, possibly, against those individuals who express opinions that damage a seller's business (i.e., sale of the item discussed). I believe the legal term in the U.S for such a claim is "tortious interference."

Please remember that we need to avoid comments about value, quality, or authenticity of items that are for sale. Because the age of an item might be a factor in determining its value, such discussions should probably be avoided here.

It is much better for all concerned that, when items are for sale, questions about value, authenticity, quality, and other features that are reflected in the price of an item should be addressed to specific individuals, via email or private message, to avoid the possible legal issues discussed above.

Similarly, attempts to help people avoid making expensive mistakes should not be expressed on these pages (for the reasons cited above)--if you want to advise that person, then please use PM or email.

Ian.