Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Maguindanao Kris silver ivory swaasa (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6744)

Battara 21st July 2008 02:14 AM

Maguindanao Kris silver ivory swaasa

2 Attachment(s)
K Pasta, Dudes?

Here is the rest of the avatar. I got the 19th c hilt of silver, ivory, and swaasa from a WWII vet who got it when stationed on Mindanao. But the blade was WWII recent era and aweful. :(

So Philkid got this Maguindanao 19th c blade with silver inlay (90% of which I had to replace) and is laminated. Again forgive my phone pictures. If I get better pictures, I will post them as well.

Enjoy

Rick 21st July 2008 02:24 AM

Nice marriage Jose . ;) :D
May they live happily everafter . :cool:

Battara 21st July 2008 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Rick.

Here is the whole thing......

Rick 21st July 2008 02:44 AM

You owe me a keyboard . ;)

Mine has shorted out due to recent excessive drool inundation . :D
Schaweeeet ! :cool:

Battara 21st July 2008 05:02 AM

Sorry about the key board.........

Yeah I was pretty pleased. The blade had a modern ivory pommel and white metal hilt. The blade was in rough shape - rust, severe pitting, etc. I had to do a lot of grinding and polishing. Baka-baka clamps are silver and the inlay. I added the brass parts to the clamps and under the hilt (per Maguindanao tradition).

Still, Philkid did a great job of getting the right kind of blade - right period, right tribe, right status. Couldn't get a better blade - Thanks Philkid! :D

Perhaps next year I will make a new scabbard out of the old scabbard for this one. ;) It has become my favorite kris out of all I have so far. :)

David 21st July 2008 01:12 PM

ooooooooooooooh... :cool:

Bill M 21st July 2008 01:52 PM

Very nice Jose. Beautiful! :)

Ferguson 23rd July 2008 09:34 AM

Nice puppy! :) ;)

Steve

asomotif 23rd July 2008 12:16 PM

Nice work (I think)

I
Quote:

had to do a lot of grinding and polishing. Baka-baka clamps are silver and the inlay. I added the brass parts to the clamps and under the hilt
Better pictures are on ist way I hope :confused: :shrug:

Flavio 9th August 2008 08:47 AM

I see this thread only now.... Great job Jose, as usual, and wonderful kris :) :cool:

Battara 10th August 2008 03:23 AM

Thank you Flavio. This was a nearly 2 year project (in between other people's work).

Soon I should be posting some better closeup pictures.

Battara 15th August 2008 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In the meantime, here are some pictures of the blade before restoration.....

Battara 1st November 2008 08:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures I promised post restoration. Note: I don't believe this is a naga but a crocodile (notice the "legs" toward the front of the animal and the "heart" shaped parts toward the end.

Enjoy

Rick 1st November 2008 08:59 PM

Sigh ......... :)
Jose, it's a bit hard to tell from the before pictures ; were the edges of this blade fairly ragged or was that just staining .

It is freakin' magnificent . :D

Battara 1st November 2008 09:49 PM

OH thank you Rick. The edges were really that jagged - no staining. It took a lot of work to grind and polish the blade out.

Flavio 2nd November 2008 08:22 AM

WONDERFUL!!!!! :)

kai 2nd November 2008 09:39 PM

Hello Jose,

Congrats, that's great luck to have such a nice hilt available for replacement/restoration! Thanks for your efforts with the pics.

Quote:

I don't believe this is a naga but a crocodile (notice the "legs" toward the front of the animal and the "heart" shaped parts toward the end.
What you think would these "hearts" represent?

Regards,
Kai

Battara 2nd November 2008 09:55 PM

I would think that the "hearts" were the stylized tail of the crocodile.

ThePepperSkull 1st July 2012 06:00 PM

Speaking of this hilt specifically, Did you make the hilt yourself, Jose? The ivory kakatua is stunning!

I remember reading another thread where I think you mentioned making the suasa for the hilt's fittings, but what about the rest of it? Is it a completely new hilt? If so I am twice as impressed!

David 1st July 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Here is the rest of the avatar. I got the 19th c hilt of silver, ivory, and swaasa from a WWII vet who got it when stationed on Mindanao. But the blade was WWII recent era and aweful. :(

So Philkid got this Maguindanao 19th c blade with silver inlay (90% of which I had to replace) and is laminated. Again forgive my phone pictures. If I get better pictures, I will post them as well.

I guess you might have overlooked Jose's first post in this thread... ;)

ThePepperSkull 1st July 2012 09:27 PM

Ah! I seem to have lost my attention span :P

Thanks, David! :D

Battara 2nd July 2012 01:46 AM

Swassa is tough stuff to make. I did not make a hilt out of swassa, but did make some swassa scabbard rings before (with the help of a friend).