Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whistlinbill's Collection #2: Jambiya (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14736)

Lee 17th December 2011 05:52 PM

Whistlinbill's Collection #2: Jambiya

1 Attachment(s)
We shall observe the Arab daggers in this thread...

Battara 17th December 2011 06:05 PM

I like jambiya #1 - looks like gilded silver and horn.

spiral 17th December 2011 06:30 PM

Great pieces, I love number 1,2 & 5 also!

I think the current live rust needs arresting though, before 3 & 5 deterate even further & end up like the relic blade on 4.

Spiral

Atlantia 17th December 2011 10:20 PM

Nice collection Bill.

I agree with Spiral though. That rust on these wafer thin blades is very worrying.

Best
Gene

whistlinbill 18th December 2011 12:49 AM

Thanks, gentlemen!
These have been sitting in my basement for a good long while--I just don't have enough wall space to put everything on it. (Built a place with a lot of large windows--plenty of light, but not much place for the arms on the wall.)
The gold looking one is gold. I bought it WAY before gold went through the roof!
Bill

kahnjar1 18th December 2011 01:30 AM

I agree about the rust....kill it quick!! #1, 2 & 5 are either Saudi or Yemeni Jambiya and 3 & 4 probably Omani. Nice pieces and thanks for showing.
Stu

whistlinbill 21st December 2011 04:27 AM

Gentlemen, thanks a bunch for your help! Your expertise is most impressive to an old coot like me, who collected with the one book that was available
at the time--Stone's. I very much appreciate all the research you have put in on the knives, and your kind comments.
Thanks,
Bill

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 21st December 2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistlinbill
Gentlemen, thanks a bunch for your help! Your expertise is most impressive to an old coot like me, who collected with the one book that was available
at the time--Stone's. I very much appreciate all the research you have put in on the knives, and your kind comments.
Thanks,
Bill

CHANGED MY MIND SLIGHTLY !!!
Salaams whistlinbill, Ok you have a good collection there... Gold? If its the number one I would say gold wash...over silver. Your No 1 is a Salalah Khanjar. No 2 is Habaabi from Saudia close to the Oman border. 3 and 4 are a puzzle; Made in Oman perhaps but 3 is decorated in the UAE style below the belt and 4 is odd as it has no belt section(broke off?) but could be a mixture worn say in the southern fringes and we go for Salalah ... 5 is Saudia Jambia WE THINK!
Cleaned up and derusted they will look great. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Lee 21st December 2011 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the next photo...

Gavin Nugent 21st December 2011 01:41 PM

I love number 7 and it looks like very fine Rhino horn too...very nice :)

Gav

Atlantia 21st December 2011 02:03 PM

Another very nice group there Bill. Wide range of syles and ages.
At the very least get some penetrating oil on the rusted patches like the ones on #7 to try and stop the decay progressing.

Are these more from the cellar?
Can't wait to see what you DO display! :eek:

Best
Gene

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 21st December 2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee
and the next photo...

Salaams,
6. Saudia
7. Habaabi Saudia
8 Muscat
9 Habaabi Saudia
10 Yemen and Salalah.

Ibrahiim

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 2nd February 2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams,
6. Saudia
7. Habaabi Saudia
8 Muscat
9 Habaabi Saudia
10 Yemen and Salalah.

Ibrahiim

Salaams all ~ bump. :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Lee 2nd February 2012 03:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hint duly noted, here are three more:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 2nd February 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee
Hint duly noted, here are three more:

Salaams and thanks Lee...First is an Omani Khanjar from the Sharqiyya (not Sur) and favoured in the central area and south (Khaiyma and Salalah). I like the hilt which is hundreds of silver pins hammered into the horn grip that could well be Z'raff(Rhino). :shrug:

Second is a Yemeni Jambiyya.

Third is a Yemeni Jambiyya( very basic dagger )

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 9th February 2012 06:24 PM

Salaams Lee ~ Anymore? Bump ! :) Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

whistlinbill 19th February 2012 03:56 PM

Ibrahiim, Gav and Gene, Thank you so much for your expertise (and kindness re the awful rust problem.) I live in the Southeastern part of the US, and have 53 inches of rainfall per year. I built a basement that is as waterproof as possible--sprayed-on rubber on the outside of the wall, and waterproof paint inside.
And a raised wooden floor with dehumidifiers going constantly. But, somehow the knives still managed to rust!
I reckon it's back to the drawing board....
Thanks,
Bill

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 19th February 2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistlinbill
Ibrahiim, Gav and Gene, Thank you so much for your expertise (and kindness re the awful rust problem.) I live in the Southeastern part of the US, and have 53 inches of rainfall per year. I built a basement that is as waterproof as possible--sprayed-on rubber on the outside of the wall, and waterproof paint inside.
And a raised wooden floor with dehumidifiers going constantly. But, somehow the knives still managed to rust!
I reckon it's back to the drawing board....
Thanks,
Bill

Salaams Whistlinbill ..Thank you for the great threads you have contributed through Lee. Yours is a veritable museum!
We can go for 2 or 3 years with no rain at all in some areas!
With a collection as vast as yours you do really well ~dont worry about the rust just give the blades a greasing with wax ... trouble is these scabbards are often wooden inside and it is there that the moisture can build up. Once a month should be ok for a quick blade waxing ... You have some great items there !! Thank you for sharing Sir, and its great to hear from you... :) Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

David R 19th February 2012 09:34 PM

Damp!

Hi there, wonderfull collection of Jambiya, thankyou for sharing. We have a humidity problem here in the UK as well, and I have sadly had a couple of nice blades rust in the scabbards. In the end the best solution is sometimes to store them out of the scabbard. Wax, I have some reservations about. I have used petrolium jelly (vas*line) in the past, diluted in white spirit to thin it. The spirit evaporates leaving a thin even layer of fine grease. Currently I use "watch oil", which is a modified olive oil, and so does not damage wooden scabbards like mineral oil does.

whistlinbill 20th February 2012 01:18 AM

Ibrahiim and Dave, thank you! I'll give that a play to see if I can head off the "red demon" before it gets a chance to get hold.
Thanks,
Bill

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 20th February 2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R
Hi there, wonderfull collection of Jambiya, thankyou for sharing. We have a humidity problem here in the UK as well, and I have sadly had a couple of nice blades rust in the scabbards. In the end the best solution is sometimes to store them out of the scabbard. Wax, I have some reservations about. I have used petrolium jelly (vas*line) in the past, diluted in white spirit to thin it. The spirit evaporates leaving a thin even layer of fine grease. Currently I use "watch oil", which is a modified olive oil, and so does not damage wooden scabbards like mineral oil does.

Salaams Bill and David R .. Agreed . I use sewing machine oil which is fine. Taking the weapons out of the scabbard is a great idea.. solves the bother straightaway.. :shrug: Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.