Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Translation Assistance for Moro Kris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28648)

SanibelSwassa 6th March 2023 03:11 AM

Translation Assistance for Moro Kris

6 Attachment(s)
The script could be Arabic or Kavi/Jawi?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Rick 6th March 2023 03:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This resembles the script inlaid on both sides of the forte of an eagle headed Piso Podang type sabre which I think comes from Northeast Borneo rather than Sumatera.

edit
pictures added.
Interestingly the script on both sides is connected via a small notch in the edge.
Not meaning to hijack this thread I just saw a resemblance.

Ian 6th March 2023 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 279837)
This resembles the script inlaid on both sides of the forte of an eagle headed Piso Podang type sabre which I think comes from Northeast Borneo rather than Sumatera.

Rick,

Do we have a picture of that piso podang on file here? Would be good to have one for comparison.

Ian.

Ian 6th March 2023 03:47 AM

Pictue of entire sword please

SanibelSwassa,

Beautiful twist core on that blade. Please post a picture of the entire sword.

Cheers,

Ian.

SanibelSwassa 6th March 2023 11:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 279840)
SanibelSwassa,

Beautiful twist core on that blade. Please post a picture of the entire sword.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian,

I have them posted in the other thread, but will drop them here also.

Thanks for any help in the translation!!

SanibelSwassa 6th March 2023 12:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pre-cleanup pic from auction.

Enjoy!!

SS

Ian 6th March 2023 12:38 PM

SS,

Thanks for posting those pics again in this topic. The issue is one of keeping our Archives intact for each topic. The posting of a full length picture of the sword is important to place the inscription in context. This is explained in the sticky thread near the top of the Ethno Forum contents page.

BTW, very nice sundang.

Spunjer 6th March 2023 01:53 PM

Wow! that cleaned up pretty good! i was going neck to neck with you on this piece, lol.
the Jawi on the stirrup is a plus! if you can't get it translated here, i'll save the pics and take it with me to Baltimore. i might know someone who can translate that over there.

SanibelSwassa 6th March 2023 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer (Post 279851)
Wow! that cleaned up pretty good! i was going neck to neck with you on this piece, lol.
the Jawi on the stirrup is a plus! if you can't get it translated here, i'll save the pics and take it with me to Baltimore. i might know someone who can translate that over there.

Ron,

I was seriously jealous over the axe you got, after I saw it in person. Hopefully someone on here has the ability to help! BTW… the oxidation on this piece was so thick that it came off in sheets.

SanibelSwassa 7th March 2023 03:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Better pics of the script.

Again thank for any assistance!!

SS

SanibelSwassa 9th March 2023 07:31 PM

Bump.

SanibelSwassa 15th March 2023 01:45 PM

Bump…

Any translation help would be greatly appreciated.

SanibelSwassa 23rd March 2023 05:14 PM

Bump

SanibelSwassa 28th July 2023 05:51 AM

Bump… still looking for help here. I’m completely fine with sharing the pics with outside sources if that gets us closer to translation!!

Ian 29th July 2023 07:15 AM

SS,

It's been a while that you have had this one up, and I'm thinking our usual translators are having trouble recognizing the script. You might try PM'ing one or two of the folks who have answered other queries here re Arabic scripts and see if they can help you.