Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kaskara with latten 'running wolf' (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17455)

Iain 25th July 2013 08:12 PM

Kaskara with latten 'running wolf'

6 Attachment(s)
Just a recent addition to the collection I thought I'd share.

A very sturdy kaskara with a European blade and a running wolf exhibiting the remains of a latten inlay. Under the langets of the guard on each side are stamped what are typically termed the Italian fly marks (marca mosca) and sometimes associated with arsenal use.

A.alnakkas 25th July 2013 09:22 PM

Lovely blade! would love one in silver mounts and a scabbard :D

Iain 27th July 2013 07:58 AM

Thanks, :) I haven't managed to get a silver hilt yet, but I prefer older blades over the fancy stuff anyways. It is a pity this piece lacks a scabbard, but on the plus side, I didn't have to pay a fortune to get it. ;)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 27th July 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Thanks, :) I haven't managed to get a silver hilt yet, but I prefer older blades over the fancy stuff anyways. It is a pity this piece lacks a scabbard, but on the plus side, I didn't have to pay a fortune to get it. ;)

Salaams Iain... Excellent find and very clearly photographed... I am not sure where to start as blades like this must be a bit scarce carrying not only the fly mark but running woolf as well and evidence of some other script perhaps to the general blade now worn off... or is that wootz? :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Iain 27th July 2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Iain... Excellent find and very clearly photographed... I am not sure where to start as blades like this must be a bit scarce carrying not only the fly mark but running woolf as well and evidence of some other script perhaps to the general blade now worn off... or is that wootz? :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hi Ibrahiim, not wootz and no script. :) It's a European blade and the marks are original and 'of the period' but it's probably best not to get into an age debate here. Suffice to say it's old and rather older than most blades encountered. ;) The blade actually has an intriguing repair on the last third. I'm typing from a phone at the moment but I'll post an image later on. The key here was the latten inlay which makes dating somewhat easier when coupled with the running wolf. I will say this is a very lively blade and compares well to one of the recent European takouba I've posted.

Iain 28th July 2013 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The repair mentioned above.

colin henshaw 28th July 2013 10:37 AM

Hi Iain

Looks a sturdy sword, with an old blade. But from the images, the sword looks as if its been "re-finished" - has the blade been on a mechanical sander/buffer of some sort ?

Regards.

Iain 28th July 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi Iain

Looks a sturdy sword, with an old blade. But from the images, the sword looks as if its been "re-finished" - has the blade been on a mechanical sander/buffer of some sort ?

Regards.

Hi Colin,

Definitely agree it's been over cleaned at some point. Came this way from the dealer I purchased from and he hadn't cleaned it either as far as I know. I don't see any grind marks so I would guess it was chemically treated. A pity in that the patina is gone, which as you've seen from my other takouba is something I am usually keen to keep (perhaps to fault). Still for what it is and what I paid I won't complain.

I'm quite glad there's at least a bit of latten remaining on the wolf.