Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Russian collection of Indian arms and armor an exhibition in Brussels. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21035)

mahratt 24th January 2016 04:00 PM

Russian collection of Indian arms and armor an exhibition in Brussels.

Russian collection of Indian arms and armor, as well as objects of art at an exhibition in Brussels.

The exhibition: Fight – Pray – Love will focus on Moghul and Sikh arms and
armours from an important private European collection.
The exhibition focus on the role of weaponry in acts of workship and rituals; its sacred role in the quotidian world and in religious ceremonies and the techniques; the design and decoration symbolism intervening in its manufacture, and on the wider role this material and metaphysical phenomenon has had to play.

Was published exhibition catalog. At the exhibition a lecture Robert Elgood:
“North Indian weapons and warriors”.

Catalog: A. Bartholomew "Fight-Pray-Love" Brussels, 2015. Foreword: Jonathan Barrett

mahratt 24th January 2016 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Photos from the exhibition:

Ren Ren 24th January 2016 04:46 PM

Thanks, mahratt!

"Fight – Pray – Love" is great idea for arms!

Jens Nordlunde 24th January 2016 05:00 PM

Mahratt,

Thank you very much for telling about the exhibition.

Jens

Gavin Nugent 24th January 2016 09:28 PM

Thank you for sharing Mahratt.

I am very pleased to see Mr Bartholomew's collections of arms, armour and sculpture exhibited and catalogued, he has dedicated a lot of time and effort to put his collection together...I hope others follow in his foot steps.

Many thanks for bringing so many good recent exhibitions to light, arms and armour romance lives on strong.

Gavin

mahratt 25th January 2016 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I apologize for the quality of the images. I take photos on a smartphone. Photos from the catalog:

ArmsAndAntiques 27th January 2016 05:09 PM

Are these catalogs available anywhere for sale?

Regards
LL

Jens Nordlunde 27th January 2016 06:07 PM

Yes they are, but I have yet to find out where. I am working on it and will let you know.

ArmsAndAntiques 27th January 2016 08:47 PM

Thank you Jens. The items do look superb and the catalog will certainly make a fine reference volume for future use.

Best
LL

Battara 28th January 2016 03:36 PM

What intrigues me are the mannequins - actual carved faces with beards (and black with stark white eyes)!

Jens Nordlunde 28th January 2016 08:28 PM

ArmsAndAntiques,

From what I have learned, there is no ISBN number, no author given and no publisher given. However, it does say Asian Art in Brussels.
If this does not help maybe maharatt can help.

Jens

ArmsAndAntiques 28th January 2016 11:27 PM

Thanks Jen. I'll keep looking.

best
LL

mahratt 28th November 2021 05:58 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Catalog

ariel 28th November 2021 08:51 PM

A book with that title is not on the Bookfinder site.

However, there was an exhibition of Indian and Chinese arms in Russia in 2015: “ Mortal beauty”. The catalog is bilingual (Russian and English) and is superb, with serious academic articles on the topic.
The objects came from 2 private Russian collections of Indian arms and from 1 collection of Chinese arms. They are by and large utilitarian, but there are some with more or less decorative elements.
ISBN 978-5903417-73-5
IMHO, these 2 exhibitions are unrelated: same year, and the Belgian one ( from what I see on very few available pics) is more “ luxury- oriented” .

If anyone here finds a source for the Belgian exhibition catalogue, please post it here.

I am not sure it will add anything to the already available information , especially after Elgood’s
monumental books on Jaipur and Jodhpur arsenals, but hope springs eternal and Pope is always right:-)

P.S. Also not on Bookfinder site

mahratt 29th November 2021 07:55 PM

Catalog available.

Kurt 30th November 2021 04:21 PM

Here is an ebook from the exhibition

1 Attachment(s)
I found an ebook of the exhibition here.
Kurt

mariusgmioc 30th November 2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt (Post 268026)
I found an ebook of the exhibition here.
Kurt

Wow!

Thank you very much! :)