Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help me identify this Keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4624)

Agentof23 22nd May 2007 05:53 AM

Help me identify this Keris

5 Attachment(s)
A Friend of mine has asked me to help him find some information about this Keris he wants to sell. My internet searching so far has been fruitless, so I turn to the expertise of this forum for help. Can anyone identify it, or point me in the right direction of where I could find more information. :shrug:

Rick 22nd May 2007 03:28 PM

This appears to be a Bali keris dressed in recent scabbard and handle. The blade itself may also be of fairly recent manufacture and aged; or it may be an older blade.

Lew 22nd May 2007 05:12 PM

Rick

I must disagree with you on the age of the blade. It seems like an older one to me but It's hard to be sure from the photos.

Lew

Agentof23 22nd May 2007 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. As for the age of the blade, would it help if I posted some additional photos of the blade itself in greater detail? How would one go about determining a blade that was naturally aged rather than artificially aged?

Henk 22nd May 2007 08:21 PM

Please do post some better pictures of the blade. It surely will help.

I think, just like Lew, the blade is an older balinese blade, missing his original gondjo. The gondjo on this keris is a replacement and much recent than the blade.
For the dress I go with Rick. The dress is new. Such a dress is used for tourists. But this dress is carved better than most cheap tourist examples. It is as far I can judge the pictures, properly done.

Alam Shah 23rd May 2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henk
Please do post some better pictures of the blade. It surely will help.

I think, just like Lew, the blade is an older balinese blade, missing his original gondjo. The gondjo on this keris is a replacement and much recent than the blade.
For the dress I go with Rick. The dress is new. Such a dress is used for tourists. But this dress is carved better than most cheap tourist examples. It is as far I can judge the pictures, properly done.

Exactly my sentiments. ;)

Rick 23rd May 2007 01:21 AM

Gentlemen, I always leave myself a way out; notice I used the word 'may'. ;) :D
I'd agree that the gonjo looks like a replacement.

I think the quality of carving of the scabbard is superior to that of the hilt.

Can we get any measurements; possibly the length of the blade?

Newsteel 23rd May 2007 09:27 AM

Hmm... it's like I've seen this piece before on Ebay...

David 23rd May 2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newsteel

That's just fine...as long as it is not a currently active auction.

Alam Shah 24th May 2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newsteel

Now that you mentioned it... I do recall one closely resembled this... although there are quite a few which had passed. :)

David, those are way... past auctions. ;)