Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A cannon miniature (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22479)

fernando 20th March 2017 04:49 PM

A cannon miniature

4 Attachment(s)
Just one more, but fairly proportional ... and in fine metal.
Atually made of solid silver, 835/1ooo grade, if i discern well the tiny hallmark.
With a well defined Portuguese coat of arms.
I have ordered one local smith to make a little yoke in silver and will place the set on a wooden cup base, to see how it looks "in position".

fernando 6th April 2017 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't order 'so much' of an intervetion but ... the silver smith decided to be precious in his work and made a silver base. Also he shouldn't have polished the cannon, but i understand he wanted its shade to match with the new base. I will see what i can do to darken the whole set.

Rick 6th April 2017 04:49 PM

Fernando, old friend; is the touchhole drilled down to the barrel?

fernando 6th April 2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Fernando, old friend; is the touchhole drilled down to the barrel?

No Rick; that was the first thing i checked. Actually i could drill it myself, silver being soft. But i saw no point, as this is not a 'functional' miniature :shrug: .

Kmaddock 6th April 2017 06:12 PM

Hi
To get a tarnish on silver I have used boiled eggs mashed up in a plastic bag with the item
The sulfur helps with the oxidation process.
Lots on internet when you google" eggs silver and tarnish"
Nice item by the way.
Regards
Ken

fernando 6th April 2017 06:48 PM

Thank you Ken,
I have read about the eggs, but now that the cannon is not a loose piece, it is not practical to put it in a plastic bag with its wooden base and all.
I was thinking of something 'easier' to apply, like bleach or vinegar. Then i phoned my jeweler friend; he offered to oxidize it for me, but he adviced me to instead allow for time to do its job, as soon it will naturaly loose its unwanted shining.

Victrix 6th April 2017 09:00 PM

Sea air

Hi Fernando,

Greetings! I'm a recent arrival here on this forum.

You could take the miniature to the coast. The silver oxidation process should occur quicker in a hot and humid environment with plenty of salt in the air.

All the best,

fernando 6th April 2017 09:18 PM

Welcome to the forum, Victrix :) .
I do live in the coast ... a humid and salty one ;) .
Let us see how fast this thing will oxidize ... and if i remember to report it when such time comes :cool: .

CutlassCollector 7th April 2017 05:04 PM

Hi Fernando,

That's turned out well and is a fine looking piece as it is - I agree with your jeweler friend, let nature take its course.

Best regards,
David

fernando 7th April 2017 06:45 PM

Thank you David :) .

Oliver Pinchot 8th April 2017 08:37 PM

Beautiful piece, Fernando.
When the silver does patinate, all of the parts will do so evenly.

fernando 8th April 2017 08:49 PM

Sure thing, Oliver; thank you :cool: .