Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A Keris Thread for Information (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15414)

dbhmgb 15th April 2012 01:12 PM

A Keris Thread for Information

5 Attachment(s)
Hello! For everyone's information my name is Dan.

I have several kerises that I do not have much information. I would like to present them here for any comments. They are pretty average or low grade examples, but I like them.

The first:
The pamor is Kulit Semangka and it also appears to have batu lapak at the base of the blade.

BluErf 15th April 2012 02:56 PM

I don't know much about Javanese kerises, but I think this is a competently made keris with attractive pamor and decent form.

Keris collecting is a very personal affair. You set the parameters of how you want to establish your collection and be happy with it. Some people collect keris for the art, some for the history and culture, others for the mystical aspect, and some a bit of everything. There's no need to peg your kerises against others' as long as you have followed your collecting objectives truely and derive some benefits out of it. :)

Btw, I think some "average" kerises can be really worth collecting. You just have to find the reason why. :)

dbhmgb 15th April 2012 03:06 PM

BluErf,

Thank you for the comments. I guess when I found out that the sheath on my favorite karis was no good, it made me feel a bit let down. But what you said make me feel alright again. I am very happy with every keris I own. With my limited knowledge and resourses, any keris is still quite amazing to me. Having seen some of the very, very nice examples that others own, it initally made me wish for a better collection, but I need to enjoy the ones I own - appreciate their history and the culture that produced them. I belive as I post them up here and get more information about them, my appreciation will increase.

Sajen 15th April 2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluErf
Btw, I think some "average" kerises can be really worth collecting. You just have to find the reason why. :)

Agree!! :)

Sajen 15th April 2012 04:12 PM

First, welcome to the forum Dan!:)
When this would be my keris I would try to change the cheaply worked new mendak against an old and better one.
The wrongko I would try to polish or to give it a new polish with shellac since the wood seems to have a nice grain. The pendok I would try to bulging and than polish it. The complete keris will become a different appealing look. :) ;)

Regards,

Detlef

dbhmgb 15th April 2012 04:43 PM

Detlef,

Than you for the welcome and for the suggestions I will act on them. Since the pictures were taken I have oiled and polished the sheath - it is much better now.

Yes, I would like to replace the mendak. Can you suggest a reputable place, on-line, where I can purchase parts?

Thanks again,

Dan

Sajen 18th April 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbhmgb
Detlef,

Than you for the welcome and for the suggestions I will act on them. Since the pictures were taken I have oiled and polished the sheath - it is much better now.

Yes, I would like to replace the mendak. Can you suggest a reputable place, on-line, where I can purchase parts?

Thanks again,

Dan

Hi Dan,

by which reason ever I have missed your query, sorry. Have for example a good look to ebay, there are offered every time again mendaks, pendoks and hilts of good or very good quality.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 18th April 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbhmgb
Detlef,

Any pictures?

dbhmgb 18th April 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Any pictures?

I will get some soon!